Perfect for a movie night at home – this Mocha Popcorn Munch combines the coffee and chocolate flavors of mocha with the all time favorite movie treat: Popcorn.
Tomorrow is National Caramel Popcorn Day (in the US) and just in time for that I bring you this Mocha Popcorn treat. You guessed right – it uses caramel popcorn.
Here in Vietnam I can buy ready-made caramel popcorn from the store and pretty much every street vendor has it too. But if you don’t have caramel popcorn, regular or buttery flavors will work for this too.
The caffeine kick in this popcorn is perfect for me and everyone else who has trouble staying awake during movies. Yesterday I fell asleep in the theater again! Maybe it’s not me but the movies – G.I. Joe 2 was a pretty bad.
Jocelyn from InsideBruCrewLife is the queen of popcorn munch in my eyes. Just look at all the different creative popcorn treats she has on her blog. Before reading her blog I never realized what creative potential popcorn has.
To make this Mocha Popcorn Munch I combined the popped caramel popcorn with instant mocha powder (I used VIA Ready Brew from Starbucks). This popcorn mix is tossed with melted white chocolate and sprinkled with mini chocolate chunks (I cut my own mini chunks because I can’t find chocolate chips in Vietnam – but mini chocolate chips would be perfect).
After setting up in the fridge, I break the popcorn into chunks and drizzle it with the most amazing mocha white chocolate drizzle. Really, this popcorn munch is worth it just for the that. To make the drizzle I adapted one of Jocelyn’s recipes. Instead of instant coffee I used mocha.
The instant mocha is mixed with heated sweetened condensed milk until it dissolves and then stirred into a little melted white chocolate (1 tsp of shortening makes it more “drizzable”).
Can I tell you something I haven’t shared with you yet? We are going back to Canada (for the summer at least)!!!!
I have to say, I am pretty stoked just thinking of all the baking opportunities! Yes, you heard right, I will be able to bake again and I can actually get my hands on pretty much every ingredient I want to.
Our flight is booked for the end of next week already. First we’ll visit my family in Kelowna for a bit but most of our time will actually be spent in Calgary.
I have a number of no-bake treats scheduled still but soon enough baking with an oven will commence!
- 8 cups popped (caramel) popcorn
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips or chunks
- 3 tbsp instant mocha powder, divided (I use Starbucks VIA Ready Brew Mocha)
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp shortening
- In a large bowl combine popcorn and 2 tbsp mocha powder. Melt 1¼ c white chocolate chips in the microwave or on top of a double-boiler.
- Toss popcorn mix with the melted white chocolate. Spread the popcorn out on a large lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and toss again a little.
- Let the popcorn set up in the fridge for 5 minutes. Take out and break into chunks.
- Melt ¼ c white chocolate with shortening. In another bowl heat up sweetened condensed milk and stir in 1 tbsp mocha powder until dissolved. Stir into melted white chocolate.
- Drizzle the mocha mix over the popcorn. Let set for 5 minutes.