To be honest, I feel quite weird writing about a fruity galette filled with summery peaches when there is about a foot of snow outside.
Yup, here in crazy Calgary we have snow when it’s still officially summer according to the calendar. Now this is far from normal (average temperature high this time of year is 18 C (65 F). But it is also not completely unusual.
Calgary has seen snow in every month of the year already. Correct me, if you know better, but I think it has to do with Calgary’s high altitude and close proximity to the Rockies.
Luckily, temps should go up to 10 C (50 F ) today and of this out-of-season white fluff should disappear. Not without leaving very visible traces though.
Since the trees all have their leaves still, they caught a lot more snow than when ‘naked’. The majority of trees aren’t able to withstand that heavy load and there are broken off branches everywhere. Some trees completely caved in under their snow load.
There even have been power outages due to breaking branches falling on power lines.
The saddest part is, that we just had our last snow in May only. This means we’ve had only about 3 months of snow-freedom.
So what exactly am I doing in this crazy place?
Well, today’s summery recipe may seem out-of-season in current Calgary conditions, but I hope the rest of the Northern hemisphere has not entirely skipped fall and you can still enjoy some late summer days.
Do I keep repeating myself too much by saying just how much I love galettes this summer? It is an undying love because today I bring you galettified Peaches and Cream!
There are juicy peach slices – just lightly sweetened and ginger seasoned – in a flaky crust with a heavenly, rich and creamy drizzle.
Enjoy your snow-free days and pick up some peaches while you can!
- 2 cups (250 g) unbleached all-purpose flour (more for rolling out)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (170 g) cold butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) ice water
- 4 large peaches, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar
- ½ cup (60 g) icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon butter, melted
- ⅛ cup cream
- Place flour, salt and cut up butter into a food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly and looks like wet sand. Slowly add water into running machine (only as much as needed) until a dough ball forms. Shape into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl carefully toss peach slices with ginger and sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out chilled dough (about ¼ inch thick) and transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Assemble the peach slices in a circular pattern while leaving a 2 inch border. Brush any fruit juice that remains in the bowl over the peach slices. Fold over the edges.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust edges are lightly browned. Let galette cool on the counter.
- To prepare glaze stir together icing sugar with vanilla extract and melted butter. Add only as much cream as needed to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over galette.
Are you experiencing any crazy weather?