With some peanut butter and chocolate you can turn simple Saltine crackers into fancy party snack sandwiches.
Peanut Butter and chocolate are kind of like magic ingredients. If I just hear one or both of these ingredients, my eyes light up and taste buds start salivating. I will hardly ever say no to goodies that have peanut butter and/or chocolate on the ingredients list. And it is exactly these two ingredients that can turn simple crackers in to a fancy party snack.
I got the idea for these pimped up Saltine cracker sandwiches from a snack bar that is being sold here in Vietnam. It basically consists of Saltine crackers with different flavored fillings. Unfortunately, those fillings don’t taste very good. They are just very sweet, creamy and highly processed ‘stuff’. Sure, the added colorings and artificial flavors are intended to make you think you eat strawberry or chocolate cream, but I wasn’t fooled.
Instead I was inspired to make my own version that is at least a little more real. For one of these snack sandwiches I used 3 plain Saltine cracker squares and spread a little melted chocolate (I like dark chocolate) between two squares. Then I topped it with another square that was spread with peanut butter. And as if that wasn’t enough of the ‘magic ingredients’, half of the sandwich is dipped in melted chocolate and then drizzled with a little more. Just for the pretty factor.
So if you are looking for another treat to put on the snack table for your next party, why don’t you make these easy Saltine sandwiches. Chances are that you already have all ingredients in your pantry. You can also use different kinds of crackers and your choice of chocolate and peanut butter (or other nut butter).
Although I didn’t care for the packaged snack bars here in Vietnam, there are other amazing foods here that I really like. Top runners are Pho and fresh spring rolls. I’ll really miss those when we move on, but I just learnt how easy fresh spring rolls are to make from a fun video in the sidebar player. Check it out, if you love Vietnamese/Asian food as much as me.
- 36 Saltine squares
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup (6 oz.) chocolate, divided
- If required, break Saltine crackers into squares. Melt about half of the chocolate on top of a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Spread approx. one teaspoon of melted chocolate on 12 of the crackers and top with another cracker.
- Spread one teaspoon of peanut butter on remaining 12 crackers and place on top of the chocolate cracker sandwiches. Place stacked cracker sandwiches in the fridge to set up a little.
- Melt remaining chocolate on top of a double-boiler or in the microwave. Dip half of the cracker sandwiches into the melted chocolate and place them on a lined tray.
- Once all sandwiches are dipped, drizzle some of the remaining melted chocolate over top.
- Place in the fridge until chocolate is set.