Carla of Carla’s Confections is another blogger I first got to know through Instagram. I felt connected to her right away since we are the same age, got married the same year and both our husbands took us to the other end of the world in our first year of marriage (to New Zealand for Carla, Asia for me). And of course – we both love food! On Carla’s blog you will find a balance of sweet and savory recipes. This summer, you have to try her 3-ingredients strawberry banana ice cream. Just the thought of Carla’s chicken and bacon BBQ pizza makes me salivate and pumpkin spice cupcakes are awesome anytime – not just in fall.
Hello there!! My name is Carla and I like to bake, cook and blog about it over at Carla’s Confections! I was really excited when Regina asked me to share one of my non-bake treats over here, because any reason to not turn on your oven in the summer right?
I can’t really say that it’s summer here in Vancouver yet, but I’m sure any day now it’ll turn. Maybe… hopefully.
I think the best part about non-bake treats, besides not heating up your house when it’s a sauna outside already, is that, for the most part, non-bake treats are so easy to make! You can’t beat treats that are ready to eat in less than 20 minutes. And even better if it dirties less than 3 dishes!
If you have been over at Carla’s Confections at all, you might notice that I have a thing for s’mores. They are basically the best campfire dessert of all times, and if there is a way to make it a year-round dessert in some form, I will do it. From Toasted S’more Cookie Bars to S’more Rice Krispie Burgers and (another non-bake) S’more Truffles finally to these Non-Bake S’more Rice Krispies.
And I have a feeling these won’t be the last s’more treats you see from me. I just can’t quit those three delectable ingredients. It just doesn’t get much better than graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate!
Unless you add butter and Rice Krispies. Then you reach something else altogether. I think it’s called heaven. Or something close to it anyway!
These treats were actually birthed out of my S’more Truffles. I had been working so hard to come up with a way to make truffles out of s’more ingredients, and I was trying to use melted marshmallows to do so. I am sure there is a way to make them work, but all the ways I was trying was failing! I had already thrown out a couple batches, and feared the same would happen with this batch, so at the last minute, after melting the marshmallows and stirring in the chocolate, I bailed on my truffle attempt and stirred in Rice Krispies instead!
I’m so glad I did!
I laid out the chocolate drenched Rice Krispie treat mixture in a glass baking dish, decided to grind up some graham crackers and sprinkle (more like completely bury) the newly dubbed S’more Rice Krispie treats with them.
You can call these a very happy accident! These were a very big hit among our friends, and you better believe these will be showing up in our dessert rotation again!!
So, despite the fact it still feels like winter turning to spring here in Vancouver, I hope you are having warm sunny days! And on those days you want an easy non-oven-turning-on dessert, make these Non-Bake S’more Truffles! You no longer need a campfire (or an oven!) to have your s’mores. (And if you are into donuts, make sure to follow along my Donut Friday series!)
Thank you Regina for hosting my recipe for your party! I can’t wait to see what other fun recipes you have posted this week!!
- 250g (8.8oz) bag large marshmallows
- ½ cup salted butter
- 225g (8oz) bag dark chocolate chips
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 graham cracker rectangles (or more if desired)
- Get your ingredients and dishes ready to go right away. Measure out your 7 cups rice krispies and place in a large bowl. Grind up your graham crackers in a food processor, or blender or any other way you would like to grind them up.
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish well with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, put some butter over medium-high heat, and partially melt butter. Once butter is slightly melted, add the entire bag of marshmallows to the pot.
- Stir frequently, melting the marshmallows with the butter. Once marshmallows are almost fully melted, add in the chocolate chips and stir constantly until they are JUST melted.
- Remove from heat immediately, and stir in the rice krispies cereal.
- Spray your hands with non-stick spray, and using a spoon and your hands, lay out the cereal mixture into the baking dish and flatten out using your sprayed hands (make sure hands are clean prior to this).
- Before the treats set up, sprinkle (or bury) the top with ground up graham crackers.
- Allow to set completely before cutting into squares. Consume within a few days.