After yesterday’s amazing popsicles, are you ready for another awesome strawberry no-bake treat? I am honored to have Erin of Texanerin Baking share one of her creations today. Erin’s blog is full of whole wheat and reduced-sugar recipes that don’t taste healthy (if you know what I mean). She put together some great tips for baking with whole wheat flour but you can also find grain-free treats like these grain-free peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough bites. She’s the one who convinced me that avocados are a great smoothie ingredient (she even made a Chocolate Avocado Smoothie). If you are a baking fanatic like me but want to keep things on the healthier side (or even if not), you should definitely check out her blog.
Hi everyone! I’m Erin and blog over at Texanerin Baking. I normally bake healthier whole wheat or gluten-free goodies, but in celebration of Regina’s Summer No Bake Party, I thought I’d make some candy. It’s pretty difficult to make candy healthy, but this one is at least a little healthier than your average candy recipe.
This one only calls for a few strawberries, a little lime juice, and coconut butter (which is just very well processed shredded coconut and not oil) and white chocolate. I happen to know that Regina loves white chocolate and berries so I thought that this would be perfect!
And I thought it would be fun to do something that Regina can actually make when she’s back in Asia. I’m from Texas but live in Germany, so I definitely understand how frustrating it can be when you don’t have the ingredients you need and want!
So for this candy, all you do is melt the ingredients together, blend, freeze until firm, and then roll into balls. It doesn’t seem possible that something so simple can taste so good, but really, these are amazing. At first I tried to mix the mixture together with a hand mixer, but that was just a mess. So either use an immersion blender or get out the food processor.
The strawberry flavor isn’t too intense. These taste mostly of white chocolate, coconut, with hints of strawberry and lime. You can easily make them more limey by adding more lime zest, or cooking the strawberries for a few minutes to reduce them like I did in this similar recipe I made last summer.
Strawberries vary in their water content and I’ve made these several times with different batches of strawberries. But if do you run into the problem that the mixture doesn’t get firm enough, slightly warm the pot over low heat and add another 50 grams melted white chocolate. Stir and put back in the freezer until firm enough to roll.
I hope you enjoy the truffles! Feel free to come on over to Texanerin Baking where I also post a lot of no-bake healthier goodies. Thanks for having me! 🙂
- 10.5 ounces (300 grams) white chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons (72 grams) coconut butter (not oil!)
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 medium (80 grams) strawberries
- shredded coconut, optional
- In a small pot over medium heat, melt the white chocolate and coconut butter.
- Add the lime zest and lime juice and stir until combined.
- Add the strawberries and using an immersion blender, blend together until the strawberries it's uniform in texture. There should be no chunks of strawberries.
- Place the pot in the refrigerator or freezer and chill until the candy is firm enough to roll into balls. This took about 3 hours in the freezer.
- Roll into 16 1” balls and roll in shredded coconut, if desired.
- Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month.