We did it again!
As mentioned before, my husband and I love going out for coffee and cake. Especially chocolate cake. This time it was a white chocolate cake with coconut filling that we had at Relax Coffee and Restaurant in Krabi Town.
This place it truly a hidden gem. It is THE place to go in Krabi Town for quality real coffee, awesome and affordable Western breakfast and for both Thai and Western lunch.
The staff are very friendly and attentive and will always greet you cheerfully in unison 😉
They now also opened another cafe, called Easy Cafe, just down the street and around the corner that also is open for dinner.
We had this cake after a good lunch meal, so we were looking for something lighter than our usual rich chocolate cake. This white chocolate cake with coconut was just right for that.
The cake was a little dense, but the coconut mousse was wonderfully light and airy. With the use of high quality, fine white chocolate this cake could have been even better.
Maybe you want to try yourself on your own version of a white chocolate coconut cake?
Make sure to use fine white chocolate.
- 6.0 oz (170 gr) fine white chocolate
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder ( or 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract)
- 3 cups (300 gr) sifted cake flour
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp (240 gr) sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) + 1 tbsp (125 gr) unsalted butter, softened
- 2.5 cups (625 ml) heavy cream
- 1.5 c (300 gr) sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 225 gr) unsalted butter
- 1 heaping tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean powder (or ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
- 4.5 cups (400 gr) shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Melt chocolate in a double boiler over hot water; stir frequently. Take off heat. Lightly mix eggs, ¼ cup milk, and vanilla in a bowl. In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients on low speed for 30 seconds to combine. Add butter and remaining milk. Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Now beat on medium speed for 1½ minutes; scrape down sides. Add egg mixture in 3 parts, beat for 20 seconds after each part; scrape down sides. Add melted chocolate and beat to incorporate.
- Grease, line and flour three 9” round cake pans or bake in one and level later. Fill batter into pans. Bake for 25-35 minutes (more for 1 pan). Cakes are ready when an inserted cake tester (tooth pick) comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides with a small metal spatula and invert onto greased wire racks.
- Combine cream, sugar, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon cold water until cornstarch is fully dissolved. Add to cream mix, bring to a boil, and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Place coconut in a food processor. Pulse until coconut is finely chopped. Remove cream mixture from heat and stir in coconut until well combined. Transfer to a large baking dish; let cool.
- Cover filling with plastic wrap and chill in fridge overnight. Just before using, place mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment. Beat until smooth and creamy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Level cake into three even layers. Place first layer in a spring form pan. Spread about ¼ of coconut filling. Place second cake layer on top. Spread another ¼ of the filling and finish with the last cake layer. Spread remaining filling on top and let it also flow down the sides.
- Chill for a couple hours. Before removing from spring form, run a knife along the edge to loosen from pan.
- Decorate with white chocolate curls.