This No Churn Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream is made with whipped coconut cream, sweetened with dates and seasonally flavored with pumpkin and pumpkin spice.
This AMAZING recipe is dairy-free and paleo friendly.
We are currently on vacation in Cambodia, but as promised, I scheduled some of my most popular recipes from my collaboration with eBay to share with you while we are gone.
Like this DELICIOUS dairy-free no churn Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream. Who would have known that you could make luscious, creamy vegan pumpkin ice cream without ice cream maker?
Update Aug 2016: I’ve since had the pleasure of trying a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and if you like homemade (healthier) ice cream, it is totally worth the investment.
The most popular no churn ice cream recipes I come across online depend on fluffy whipped cream combined with a can of sweetened condensed milk.
This sounds easy enough, but excludes anyone with lactose intolerance (or anyone who is avoiding dairy in general) from enjoying this treat.
Also, that sweetened condensed milk isn’t exactly healthy. If you know my kitchen philosophy a little, it will be no surprise to you that I just HAD to try to make a healthier version of pumpkin ice cream without ice cream maker.
This vegan pumpkin ice cream recipe is based on whipped coconut cream. Ever since I discovered this luscious dairy-free version of whipped cream, I wondered how it would do as no churn ice cream base.
My initial plan was to combine the whipped coconut cream with my dairy-free sweetened condensed milk.
Then I came across Dana’s idea of using date paste. I love this idea since it requires less time and planning ahead than homemade sweetened condensed milk.
And fitting for the season, I just had to try a dairy free pumpkin spice ice cream version. You’d think I’d be less pumpkin crazy now that we are in Thailand and I can’t buy canned pumpkin puree. But isn’t this how it always goes?
You want what you can’t have! Well, I can have pumpkin puree, but I have to make it myself actually.
It’s all worth it though!
Naturally sweetened, dairy free no churn ice cream with the wonderful seasonal flavor of pumpkin and spices. Nothing wrong with that.
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut cream (or coconut milk), chilled overnight
- 7 ounces pitted dates
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Soak the dates in hot water for about 10 minutes, then puree in a food processor. Add a little water at a time as needed until smooth and creamy.
- Open the can of coconut cream and scoop out solidified cream from the top. Whip with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add half of the date paste, the pumpkin puree and spice, vanilla and salt and mix to incorporate. Taste the mixture for sweetness and add more date paste if needed; * see Notes.
- Spread the ice cream mixture into a container like a loaf pan and freeze for at least 4 hours to solidify. For more of a mousse texture you can serve it after about 2 hours.
- Take out the vegan pumpkin ice cream approx. 20 minutes before serving. This will make scooping much easier.
- Optionally, add pecans or walnut for some crunchy texture.
- Try some instant espresso powder in the mix will produce more of a pumpkin spice latte flavor.
You can also churn the pumpkin coconut milk mixture (no need for chilling then) in one of these ice cream makers, for endlessly creamy and super smooth vegan pumpkin spice ice cream.
For more delicious Pumpkin Spice recipe inspiration, check out these:
Disclaimer: This recipe is part of my collaboration with eBay. The whole recipe first appeared here. Thank you for your support of the companies that make this blog possible.