Satisfy your brownie cravings with these healthy, seasonal, intensely fudgy paleo pumpkin brownies with pumpkin butter frosting – grain-free and refined sugar-free.
Gluten-free or grain-free recipes haven’t really made it onto my radar until recently, since neither me or anyone in my family has celiac disease, is gluten-intolerant or follows a grain-free diet.
Recently however, I learnt that following a gluten-free diet has shown to reduce psoriasis (autoimmune skin condition) in certain cases, even complete remission for some. Since I haven’t heard of any other long-term solution to this skin condition of mine, I thought to give it a try.
Well, I am trying … gradually. I have been able to mostly eliminate gluten from my main, savory meals, but it gets tough when it comes to dessert. Especially for a baking fanatic like me.
So I have quietly been experimenting with gluten-free baking for the last little while, like last weeks coconut flour pumpkin muffins. I have learnt a lot and got to know many new and interesting types of flour.
I am not quite ready to be entirely gluten-free (and maybe I never will be) but I have learnt a whole new appreciation for gluten-free recipe developers and understand the need food/desserts that don’t make you sick a whole lot better. So you will definitely be seeing more gluten-free baking recipes in this spot.
These grain-free brownies are made with pumpkin puree, unsweetened baking chocolate and almond flour. The only sweetener in them is honey. All this makes them pretty healthy in my books.
They are super-fudgy and the added cinnamon emphasizes the seasonal pumpkin flavor. The frosting is made with this pumpkin almond butter and more pumpkin puree, but its optional. I love these pumpkin brownies plain and simple. Since they are actually healthy, I didn’t feel guilty wrapping them up as a snack-on-the-go to eat between meals.
This healthy chocolate frosting would also work really well with these brownies.
Grain-Free Fudgy Pumpkin Brownies
Satisfy your brownie cravings with these healthy, seasonal, intensely fudgy paleo pumpkin brownies with pumpkin butter frosting - grain-free and refined sugar-free.
For the grain-free brownies
- 3.5 oz (100 g) unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1.5 tablespoons (22 ml) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) honey
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (40 g) almond flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt together unsweetened chocolate, coconut oil and honey either in the microwave or on the stove top. Stir until smooth and combined.
- Add pumpkin puree and egg and mix until incorporated. Whisk together almond flour and cinnamon in small separate bowl. Fold into the wet mixture.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes, then cool on the counter top.
- In the meantime combine the pumpkin almond butter with pumpkin puree and mix well to combine. Stir in spice and taste. Add sweetener, if desired, starting with 1 tablespoon. More to taste. Spread frosting over cooled brownies.
- Store in air-tight container in the fridge.
Frosting recipe adapted from Civilized Caveman Cooking
How about you? Do you do gluten-free baking? I’d love to hear and learn from your experiences!