These deluxe pumpkin white chocolate cookies have chewy centers and crisp edges. Paired with white chocolate and pecans they luxuriously ring in the fall season.
If you are as excited as me about the beginning of fall, then you just HAVE make these amazing cookies!
Since making this Pumpkin Spiced Fudge I realized that white chocolate and pumpkin are kind of made for each other – so the romance continues with these cookies.
I like crunch and contrast with my cookies (and most every dessert) so I added a pecan nut on top of each cookie. I highly recommend doing this. The pecans get a nice toasty flavor while being baked on top of the cookie which just adds to the celebratory fall aroma of these cookies.
To increase the chewiness of the cookies I added 1 tablespoon of Vital Wheat Gluten to the all-purpose flour. This is the protein from the wheat grain and makes for denser baked goods. To achieve the same effect bread flour can be substituted for the all-purpose flour as it contains higher protein levels.
Due to the high water content of pumpkin puree the dough will be quite sticky initially. For this reason it HAS to be chilled before shaping into cookies. I recommend at least 1/2 an hour but 1-2 hours are even better (more chilling doesn’t hurt the dough).
If the dough seems extremely sticky (due to varying water contents of pumpkin), you can stir in a little(!) more flour. The cookies don’t spread too much in the oven so flatten them as you shape them.
Another tip: any type of chocolate chip cookie looks better with additional chips on top of the cookies. I recommend adding additional white chocolate chips/chunks on top of the baked cookies only as you pull them from the oven. If you add them on top of the unbaked dough already, the white chocolate might brown/burn.
Deluxe Pumpkin White Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten optional
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips/chunks more to decorate tops
- 16 pecan halves optional
- In a medium bowl stir together melted and cooled butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin puree until well combined. In a large bowl whisk together all other dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in white chocolate. The dough will be sticky, so chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Form dough into 16 cookies, flatten (the cookies don't spread much in the oven) and place on a lined baking sheet. Top each cookie with an optional pecan half. Bake for about 12 minutes. I like my cookies slightly underbaked. Adjust baking time for 'doneness' preference.
- Place a few more white chocolate chips/chunks on each cookie as you pull them from the oven (flatten cookies if necessary).
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links
More ways to celebrate FALL: