This awesome 2-layered Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Smoothie tastes just like dessert! It makes a great after-workout recovery snack.
Sometimes it seems like we enjoy self-torture. Last Sunday afternoon we decided to go to the mall. Of all places. On a Sunday!
Not an ingenious idea, since every other family in Calgary seemed to have had the same thought. In our defense, Konrad has an erratic work schedule, which often leaves Sunday as the only option for any kind of family activity.
We were looking for a specific item and the only place we knew where to find it, of course had to be the mall at the opposite end of the city. Actually, a little outside of the opposite end of the city.
Our Family Mall Adventures
After walking the entire mall area, while continuously dodging all other stroller pushers, we finally got help from the information desk. Turns out what we were looking for, was right where we entered the mall.
Purchase complete. Everyone tired. Home we go. But not before baby eats something. There is a nursing room conveniently located by the food court. BUT there is a big screen playing a noisy cartoon inside. Seriously?
Olivia has forgotten all about being hungry. After wrestling for a few minutes, I realize there is NO way. That TV is just too distracting for her.
Losing my Phone and Finding It Again!
So off and home we go. Finally at home, I can’t find my phone anywhere. Nooo! I lost it in the mall. The mall at the opposite end of the city. The mall outside of the opposite end of the city.
After a few unsuccessful calls, finally a security guard picks up. Luckily, the cleaners found my phone. And on Monday morning Olivia and I made our way all the way to the opposite side of the city.
To the mall just outside of the opposite end of the city. To pick up my phone!! And this was just the start to one crazy, hard, busy, stressful week. But TGIF!
Making an Amazing 2-Layered Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Smoothie
Also, I made a 2-layered, delicious smoothie that tastes like dessert. I used chocolate protein powder in mine, so it’s great for after workout recovery.
You can also:
- replace peanut butter with almond butter or any other nut or seed butter, if you are avoiding legumes.
- feel free to use your choice of dairy-free milk alternative.
- you can use a little liquid sweetener like honey or maple, but it’s not totally necessary, especially if your protein powder already has some sweetener.
- I like to increase my smoothie’s nutritional value by adding ground flax or chia seeds. I am obsessing over this Decadent Blend at the moment.
Layered Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Smoothie
This awesome 2-layered Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Smoothie tastes just like dessert! It makes a great after workout recovery snack.
- 1 banana frozen
- 2-4 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup milk more for thinner consistency
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional; omit with sweetened protein powder
- 1 scoop chocolate flavored protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds
- For a regular smoothie just blend all ingredients together until smooth, sprinkle with a little more ground flax or chia and serve right away.
- For a layered smoothie, first blend together frozen banana, ice cubes, milk, peanut butter and maple syrup (optional). Fill half of the mixture into a glass and set aside.
- Add chocolate protein powder, cocoa and ground flax or chia to the remaining smoothie mix in the blender. Pulse a few times to combine, then carefully layer the 2 smoothie mixes into a serving glass. You can do 2 or more layers.
- Sprinkle with ground seeds and serve.
Find out which is the best blender for you! Check out my article to learn what to look for to find the best smoothie blender – including a detailed review of my 6 favorite blenders.
Other Smoothie Recipes You Might Enjoy
Check out these flavorful smoothies to try as well!