Watch: How to make Coconut Flour German Chocolate Cake Pancakes
I am so excited to partner with Green & Black’s Organic to bring you delicious Mother’s Day recipe inspiration like these decadent Coconut Flour German Chocolate Cake Pancakes made with their organic Cocoa Powder.
Friends, today I have one very special treat for you. The decadence of German Chocolate Cake translated into over-the-top pancakes.
These are begging the question: is this breakfast? Or rather dessert? Clearly, this recipe is walking the line.
Which makes it perfect to serve for a special occasion brunch like Mother’s Day!
This chocolate pancake recipe is not just decadent. Nope, it’s gotta have more to make an appearance on here. And it certainly does!
It is made with quality ingredients. The chocolate pancakes from scratch are made with coconut flour, maple syrup and Green & Black’s organic cocoa powder.
My spin on the German chocolate cake frosting skips on the canned evaporated milk and white sugar. Instead there is a caramel syrup – made from coconut milk and coconut sugar – enveloping the toasted pecans and coconut flakes.
What I am trying to get at is that this fantastic recipe for pancakes is also gluten free, clean eating, paleo friendly and even includes a dairy free option!
To see a tutorial for how to make chocolate pancakes with coconut flour + the coconut pecan frosting, be sure to watch the quick video (scroll to the top, if you missed it).
I first learnt about German Chocolate Cake when my family moved to Canada and I was absolutely baffled. I had just spent the last 19 years in Germany and never heard of such a cake there.
I was mystified and very skeptical about a cake that imposed to come from my home country.
Finally, I had to get to the bottom of it. A quick Google research taught me, that the cake wasn’t named after wannabe German origins but instead after an American chocolate maker by the name of Samuel German.
Ahh…what a relief. Once that misunderstanding was cleared up, I could fully embrace and indulge in that perfect combination of chocolate and coconut-pecan goodness.
And I am sure any mama being treated to these German Chocolate Cake Pancakes would do exactly the same!
By the way, I recently came out with an eBook full of delicious coconut flour recipes.
—>>> Check it out here!
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅛ cup tapioca flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp Green & Black's Organic cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- ⅛ - ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup Green & Black's Organic chocolate chunks, optional
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or unrefined cane sugar)
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup butter (or coconut oil)
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 1-1/2 cups coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- ¾ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- To prepare the Coconut Pecan Topping whisk together coconut sugar, coconut milk, butter, egg yolks and salt in a saucepan. Heat on medium-low while stirring almost constantly until mixture starts to thicken; 5-8 minutes (it will thicken more as mixture cool). Stir in coconut flakes and pecans and set topping aside. If it thickens too much, you can reheat it to make more pourable/spreadable.
- For the Coconut Flour Chocolate Pancakes whisk together coconut and tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, and Green & Black's Organic cocoa powder in a small bowl until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ⅛ cup coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined.
- Let the batter sit for 3-5 minutes. It should be quite thick (like brownie batter). If it gets too dry and clumpy, add more coconut milk (1 tablespoon at a time) until a thick batter forms.
- Heat a lightly greased pan or griddle to medium-low. Drop 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake onto the griddle or pan and spread out a little. If desired you can sprinkle a few chocolate chunks between the 2 tablespoons of batter.
- Cook pancakes for about 3 minutes on one side, then flip carefully. Cook the other side for 2 more minutes. Keep a close eye on the pancakes, as they burn easily.
- Serve the pancakes while hot topped with the coconut-pecan topping. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks & coconut flakes and drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.
This post was kindly brought to you by Green & Black’s. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that help make Leelalicious possible!