This 1 Minute Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake is SO delicious and easy! For this fantastic recipe you just need a mug (no bowl required), a handful of ingredients and after just 1 minute in the microwave you can enjoy a warm and moist pumpkin spice cake.
We are currently on vacation in Cambodia, but as promised, I scheduled some of my most popular recipes from my collaboration with eBay to share with you while we are gone.
Last week I shared a healthier version of a gluten-free pumpkin mug cake made with coconut flour. I love baking with coconut flour and experimenting with new ways to use it. But I also realize that not everyone is into alternative flours.
If you aren’t eating gluten free or paleo, I guess chances are you have never bought coconut flour. So I wanted to make an easy version of a seasonal Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake that could be made with regular pantry staples.
It’s so awesome being able to whip up a small serving of cake as a quick dessert or to satisfy that sudden sweet craving. I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out, especially not if we are talking about delicious pumpkin spice flavor.
I love the moist cake texture that the pumpkin puree produces and the pumpkin pie spice mix causes me to feel all warm and cozy about Fall – even if I eat this pumpkin spice mug cake in tropical Thailand 🙂
In my search for the best and easiest Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake, I had a number of failed attempts. One of which I actually had to throw out. Usually we still eat the results of my recipe testing, but that one was really bad. Luckily, only a very small amount of ingredients went to waste.
I didn’t want a dry, spongy or rubbery mug cake. After 3 or 4 not so great versions, I was almost ready to give up. But, boy, am I glad I tried one more variation.
I believe the key to this fantastic, easy 1 Minute Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake is, that it doesn’t use any egg. And both the pumpkin puree and brown sugar help to make this mug cake incredibly moist. Just make sure you are not overcooking it, even if it take a few seconds longer than 1 minute for you.
And wouldn’t a scoop of pumpkin spice ice cream be so great on top of this mug cake?
Tips for making this Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake:
- Whisking together the wet ingredients first, reduces the risk of flour pockets hiding at the bottom of the mug.
- Cook time will vary by microwave and mug size used. If it looks like there is still raw batter on top after 1 minute, return the cake to the microwave for a few more seconds.
- Don’t overcook this mug cake! If you need to microwave it more than 1 minute, add short bursts of 10-15 seconds until the cake looks just done.
- Let the cake sit for a couple minutes after microwaving, so you don’t burn your tongue. However, it should be enjoyed while still warm!
1 Minute Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Melt butter in a mug (in microwave). Using a fork, stir in pumpkin puree, water and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Now stir in the dry ingredients of brown sugar, flour, baking powder and pumpkin spice.
- When all ingredients are smoothly combined, microwave the mug for 1 minute.
- If after 1 minute the batter on top still looks uncooked, microwave for 15-25 more seconds.
- Top mug cake to desire. I used caramel sauce and chocolate chunks. Whipped cream and chopped nuts are other delicious options.