This amazing Beetroot Pasta comes together in less than 30 minutes. The beets give it its striking red colour. The pasta is cooked risotto-style for a wonderful creamy texture with bite.
Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadian friends!! And everyone... Welcome to Beet Week!
Beet Week isn't officially celebrated anywhere else but here on LeelaLicious.com.
Our CSA Box Has Frequently Included Beets!
And the reason for this celebratory week all around a vegetable? Our CSA box.
For the last few months, we have received our weekly share of a local farmer's vegetable crop. And in the last several weeks, 3-4 beets were part of every delivery.
There were the red beets that I was already familiar with, and we also got introduced to candy cane beets. This must be the cutest vegetable name everrr! Once you slice these beets open, a red-and-white candy-cane-like pattern is revealed.
My Beet Incorporating Skills Have Steadily Improved!
The only one problem with this steady supply of beetroots? Other than using them in Borscht, I had no idea what to make with them.
Although I love me a good ol' bowl of Borscht with a dollop of sour cream, let me tell you, you DO get tired of it week after week (especially since my recipe makes enough for a couple meals + lunches for the 2 of us).
So yet again the CSA box was challenging my culinary creativity. And boy, am I ever glad about that. I came up with a handful of delicious recipes that I couldn't wait to share with you. So here we are with a week full of beet recipes.
Beginning the Week Off Strong With Beetroot Pasta
So let's start beet week with this amazing Beetroot Pasta!
It's amazing for several reasons. First of all, it comes together in less than 30 minutes. On weeknights you'll rarely find me preparing supper that takes longer than half an hour. Aint nobody got time fo dat!!
Secondly, this pasta dish is prepared risotto-style. Meaning, instead of boiling the pasta as usual in plenty of water and then draining it, we are cooking the pasta with hot chicken broth - one cup at a time. So we are only adding as much as needed to cook the pasta and all of it will be absorbed/evaporate.
And thirdly, there is the amazing, striking red colour!!
The Pasta Cooks At the Same Time As the Beets
The colour comes from the beets which are cooked at the same time as the pasta. Therefore it is important to cut the beets into fairly small, diced pieces. This will ensure they cook through in the same time as the pasta.
I used 1 regular red beet and 1 candy cane beet. Feel free to use any kind, but only red beets will transfer their colour to the pasta. There just is not enough red pigment in candy cane beets.
Aside from salt+pepper, there is also garlic powder and parsley seasoning in this delicious pasta. And butter + grated Parmesan give it a wonderful slightly creamy texture. Anyway, try it for yourself!
30 Minute Risotto-Style Beetroot Pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 medium beets diced into small pieces
- ½ pound short spiral pasta I used Fusilli
- 2 sprigs parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, then turn heat to low to keep the broth hot.
- In a large nonstick skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until they are starting to brown.
- Add the diced beet and pasta to the skillet and cook while stirring until pasta is starting to look toasty (about 5 minutes).
- Add 1 cup of hot broth at a time and stir constantly. Wait until almost all the broth is absorbed before adding more broth. Cook until pasta is tender but still firm (about 10-15 minutes). There might be some leftover broth.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, chopped parsley, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve pasta hot with extra parsley and Parmesan as desired.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Check out these similar recipes!
- 12 Healthy Smoothie Recipes With Leafy Greens or Vegetables
- Mango Smoothie Bowl
- Sauteed Beet Greens With Nectarines & Feta
- Creamy Bacon Pasta with Spinach
- Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta
Beetroot gives pasta its striking red color and a subtle earthy sweetness. It not only adds a vibrant hue but also infuses the pasta with a unique flavor profile.
Beetroot pasta typically consists of beets, pasta, hot chicken broth, garlic powder, parsley seasoning, butter, and grated Parmesan. The beets are diced into small pieces, and the pasta is cooked risotto-style, absorbing the vibrant color and flavors of the beets.
Beetroot pairs well with various ingredients. It complements cheese, particularly goat cheese and Parmesan. It's great in salads with arugula and nuts, and it can be used in soups, stews, or even as a side dish with roasted vegetables. Its sweet, earthy flavor adds depth to many dishes.
To cook beetroot, start by washing and peeling the beets. You can then slice, dice, or leave them whole, depending on your recipe. Boiling or roasting are common cooking methods. Boiling requires covering the beets with water and simmering until they're tender. Roasting involves wrapping them in foil and baking until they're soft. Once cooked, you can use them in various dishes.
Beetroot can be made tasty by pairing it with ingredients that complement its flavor. Roasting or boiling beets can enhance their natural sweetness. Adding ingredients like cheese, nuts, or herbs can balance their earthy notes. Experiment with different seasonings and cooking methods to find the best way to enjoy beetroot.