Make crunchy Air Fryer Chickpeas for a wholesome snack! These are deliciously seasoned and truly crispy. Great for snacking on their own, as salad topping, vegan taco filling and more.
How to Air Fry Chickpeas
I am using my T-fal Actifry model of air fryer to make this delicious crunchy chickpea snack. The rotating paddle constantly moves the chickpeas around, ensuring they get crispy from all sides. (Keep reading below for other air fryer models and oven roasting instructions.)
Start by draining a can of chickpeas and rinsing off any of the liquid residue. Let the excess water drip off or optionally dry it off with a tea towel or paper towels.
Add the chickpeas to the Actifry and air fry for 15 minutes to dry them and to start crisping them up. Then drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chickpeas and add the spices.
Shake the Actifry bowl to toss everything together. Loose dry spices will fly off and out of the air fryer. But once the spices are coating the oiled chickpeas they won't fly off once you turn on the air fryer (I had to learn that the hard way!)
Now continue air frying for another 5-10 minutes until your chickpeas are at desired crunchiness. I like them really dry and crunchy for snacking. But for taco fillings I actually prefer them crisp on the outside with still a little soft chewiness on the inside.
Basket Style Air Fryer
Place the drained chickpeas in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes at 390°F/200°C. Then drizzle with oil and toss with the seasonings.
Continue air frying for 10-15 minutes until they reach desired crispness. Shake the air fryer basket every 5 minutes to toss up the chickpeas.
To make crunchy chickpeas with an air fryer lid spread out the drained and rinsed chickpeas in the basket that comes with the Crisplid. Place the basket on the trivet inside your pressure cooker.
Set the Crisplid to 400°F (200°C) and cook the chickpeas for 7 minutes. Then remove the lid and place it on the silicone mat it comes with.
Toss the chickpeas with olive oil and the spices. Then return the air fryer lid and continue air frying 10-15 minutes until chickpeas reach desired crispness. Stop every 5 minutes or so to shake the air fryer basket and to check for crispness.
How to make crunchy chickpeas in the oven
Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C.
When making oven-roasted chickpeas you definitely want to dry the canned chickpeas after draining and rinsing. Use a tea towel or paper towel for that.
Add the dry chickpeas to a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and add the seasonings. Stir everything up by hand or using a spatula. You want the oil to evenly coat each chickpea.
Roast the chickpeas for 25-35 minutes until they are crispy. Shake the baking sheet every 10 minutes to turn the chickpeas over.
How to Season Roasted Chickpeas
In this roasted chickpea recipe I am using a simple combination of sea salt and pepper with cumin and smoked paprika. These spices make for a yummy savory snack with a hint of smokiness.
Of course you can use any combination of spices you prefer. Or change things up every time you make these.
You can also use any spice blends you happen to have in your pantry. This definitely speeds up the seasoning process compared to pulling a handful of individual spice jars from the cabinet.
Any of the savory seasoning mixes from this list would be delicious. Especially the Cajun or chili seasoning, as well as the Tandoori or Garam Masala.
Tips for Making Extra Crispy Chickpeas
- Dry the chickpeas after draining and rinsing with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. This step is optional but makes it easier and quicker to get the chickpeas really crispy
- Air fry the chickpeas as they are for the first while. This makes sure they get really dry. Then they are ready for oil and seasoning for the final crisping.
How to use Air Fried Chickpeas
The most obvious way to eat crispy chickpeas is simply eat them on their own as a more wholesome way to satisfy your snack cravings
- Salad topping
If you like texture contrasts as much as me, you probably already add nuts or seeds to your salads for a little crunch. Next time, try adding roasted chickpeas for that crunch factor in your salad
- Taco Filling
Add crunchy chickpeas and slaw to tortillas for a vegan version of breaded Baja fish tacos
Let me know in the comments of any other delicious ways you use these chickpeas.
How to Store Roasted Chickpeas
Any leftover roasted chickpeas can be stored at room temperature. After they have cooled down, add them to an airtight container to keep them crispy.
If your chickpeas are truly crunchy all the way throughout they will stay crisp. If they are still slightly chewy in the center, they may soften while stored.
To crisp them up again or to reheat, just return them to the air fryer or oven for 5 minutes or so at 400°F.
More Air Fryer Recipes you'll Love
- 1 can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse with water. Optionally, dry off excess water with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel (dry chickpeas crisp up better).
- Add the drained chickpeas to the Actifry air fryer and set to cook for 15 minutes WITHOUT the blade turning for the first 7-10 minutes (I use cook setting 5 on my Genius model).
- Then drizzle the garbanzo beans with oil, add spices and shake the Actifry bowl to toss everything together. Return chickpeas to Actifry and air fry for 5-10 more minutes to desired crispness.
Basket Style Air Fryer
- Place the drained chickpeas in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes at 390°F/200°C. Then drizzle with oil and toss with the seasonings.
- Continue air frying for 10-15 minutes to desired crispness. Shake the air fryer basket every 5 minutes.
Air Fryer Lid
- Cook the drained and rinsed chickpeas for 7 minutes with the air fryer lid set to 400°F (200°C).
- Then toss the chickpeas with olive oil and the spices. Continue air frying 10-15 minutes to desired crispness. Shake the air fryer basket every 5 minutes and check for crispness.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. After draining and rinsing the chickpeas use a tea towel or paper towel to dry them off as best as you can.
- Add the dry chickpeas to a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, add the seasonings, and stir to combine everything.
- Roast the chickpeas for 25-35 minutes until they are crispy. Shake the baking sheet every 10 minutes to turn the chickpeas over.
Ensure you thoroughly dry the chickpeas before seasoning. Additionally, allow them to air fry for the recommended time for optimal crispness.
Yes, soaking dried chickpeas before cooking can help reduce cooking time and improve their digestibility.
Roasted chickpeas are a nutritious snack, packed with protein and fiber. They can be a healthy alternative to other less nutritious snack options.
Soak dried chickpeas in water for at least 8 hours or overnight to soften them and reduce their cooking time.
Yes, cooking chickpeas for an extended period will make them softer. Adjust cooking time based on your desired texture, whether you prefer them firmer or softer.