These healthy Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats are made in the fridge. Cinnamon stewed apples, raisins and crunchy sunflower seeds give this gluten free breakfast a warm comfort food flavor.
Fall is the season of all things comfort food. As the weather gets cooler, we move away from light and fresh summer food towards warming stews, aromatic spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and also ALL THINGS PUMPKIN.
I already posted my share of pumpkin recipes. But there is another star ingredient for fall recipes. I am, of course, talking about Apples!
This time of year my parents always stock up a TON of apples that usually last them throughout all the winter months. Usually, they share a box or two of their apples with us.
But unlike my parents, we don't have a garage or other way of cool storage. That's apartment living for you.
So after not too long our apples start to be less than ideal to just eat plainly.
Last winter I came up with a ton of recipes to use up our box of apples. I made and canned lots of applesauce, used them in smoothies and even savory dishes. One of my favorites ways though, has been oatmeal.
Stewed apples paired with aromatic spices, raisins and nuts (or seeds) turn my go-to overnight oats into a delicious breakfast treat that tastes like apple pie!
More overnight oats recipes you'll love:
- Banana Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats Recipe
- Green Smoothie Overnight Oats Recipe
- Cranberry Sauce Overnight Oats
Here is how you can make your own Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats:
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- 1 small apple diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg + cloves (or use ⅓ teaspoon of apple pie spice as only seasoning in this recipe)
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup milk almond milk for vegans
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- Toppings: 1 tablespoon raisins + 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, or pecan nuts
- In a small saucepan combine diced apple, sugar, water and spices. Stew on low until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Set 2 tablespoons of the apples aside for topping.
- In a container like a mason jar, add the remaining stewed apples, milk, rolled oats and chia seeds. Close, and shake to combine. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, warm the oats if desired. Top with set aside stewed apples, raisins and sunflowers seeds (or pecan nuts). Sprinkle with a little more sugar to taste.
Pin Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats recipe for later?
Avoid adding ingredients that can become too soggy or lose their texture overnight, such as crispy toppings or delicate fruits like berries.
Yes, apple cinnamon oatmeal is a nutritious breakfast option. It provides a balance of fiber, vitamins, and minerals from the oats and apples, along with the warmth and aroma of cinnamon for added flavor.
Absolutely, overnight oats can be a healthy breakfast choice. They offer a convenient way to consume whole grains and can be customized with nutritious ingredients like fruits, nuts, and seeds.
Leaving oats to soak overnight softens them, making them easier to digest and creating a creamy texture. This process allows the oats to absorb the flavors of other ingredients, resulting in a delicious and convenient breakfast option.