This Cauliflower Stir Fry in Orange Sauce is a vegetarian version of Orange Chicken takeout. A recipe for delicious meatless takeout made quick and easy at home.
If you are regular reader, you might know that I really love cauliflower. And many of you do, too!
Motivated by the great feedback I received for the Cauliflower Alfredo Recipe, I developed a few recipes that included this healthier vegetable sauce. You can see them all here.
And now I’ve even used cauliflower to replace meat in this Orange ‘Chicken’ Stir Fry. Instead of chicken pieces, cauliflower florets are fried to a crispy crunch and tossed in a fragrant orange sauce.
I sweetened my sauce with honey and a generous amount of ginger and garlic give it a heavenly aroma. Served with steamed rice this cauliflower stir fry is simple and quick dinner to make.
However, I won’t try to convince you to skip the takeout, because this meal is faster to prepare than ordering and waiting on delivery from your favorite Chinese place.
I mean, definitely, homemade usually tastes better and is better for your wallet. But even the quickest to make meal, requires planning to have all ingredients on hand. And after the cooking, there is still the kitchen to clean up.
So there definitely is a time and place for takeout in my life. I vividly remember the time when morning sickness kept me out of the kitchen, but we were expecting people over for dinner.
But if you have special dietary needs and food sensitivities, traditional takeout may not even be an option for you. It doesn’t mean you have to live without American-Chinese comfort food. There are ways to adapt your takeout favorites to your needs.
The link to my regular Honey-Orange Chicken at the bottom includes many tips for adaptations.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- salt + pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ⅔ cup potato starch
- 1 cup diced bell pepper, multi colored
- (coconut) oil for frying + 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- In a bowl stir together cauliflower florets with salt and pepper, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Place potato starch in a shallow bowl or plate. Lift cauliflower florets out of marinade (reserve for sauce) and toss in starch until coated. Shake off excess.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat. Fry cauliflower in portions not to overcrowd the pan until lightly browned, then transfer to paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- In a sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Lightly sauté diced bell peppers for a few minutes, then set aside.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pan and sauté quickly until fragrant. Add chicken broth, orange juice, honey and reserved soy sauce marinade and stir to combine.
- Keep cooking sauce until it reduces and thickens to a syrup-like consistency.
- Add fried cauliflower and diced bell pepper to reduced sauce and toss to coat. Serve with steamed rice, sprinkled with green onion and sesame.
I also recently posted a regular Honey-Orange Chicken recipe HERE.