These wonderful Chewy Coconut Sugar Cookies are an adaption of my Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies. Those are some of the best cookies I have ever made and many of you that made them, agree.
Crisp edges with perfectly chewy centers are the stuff my cookie dreams are made of. And this new version has the same qualities.
The original recipe uses a mix of white and brown sugar. I wanted to see if I could eliminate refined sugar and use only coconut sugar in this recipe. The cookies came out amazing!
Coconut sugar has a rich caramel-like flavor that adds another layer of depth to the cookies. Konrad took some of these to work (while we were still in Canada) and apparently one co-worker exclaimed those were the BEST cookies he ever had!
I believe, it is the use of coconut oil and cornstarch that are key for the crisp edges and chewy center goodness. To some of the cookies I added chunks of dark chocolate (because I love it so much) but they are also great without.
I also tried eliminating all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour but I wasn’t too impressed with the results. Whole grain flour seems to work better with stronger flavors like my spelt flour double chocolate cookies.
- Cream together softened coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla extract with your mixer until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes).
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt and mix in until just combined. If the dough seems too thin and oily, add 1-2 more tablespoons of flour. If desired, fold in ¾ cup chocolate chunks by hand.
- Form about 20 tablespoon-sized dough balls. If using chocolate chunks, press 2-3 more chunks into the top of each dough ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill the dough balls for at least 1-2 hours (I usually put them in the fridge overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 F and place chilled dough balls 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet (when using coconut oil unlined sheets often result in too dark cookie bottoms).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are just set. Centers can still look slightly uncooked.
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool fully. Store airtight.