Get the best of both worlds of PB and oats with these Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies! You may even find some caramel…
My husband has a dilemma every time he went to Starbucks. Whenever he wanted to get a cookie with his coffee, he was torn between an oatmeal cookie or a peanut cookie.
You have to know that Konrad is the biggest peanut lover I know (and in whichever form it comes in). And when it comes to standard cookie flavors, usually a soft and chewy oatmeal cookie is his first choice.
Taking Matters Into My Own Hands!
When he told me about this serious (first world) problem he faces at Starbucks, I was inspired to create a cookie that eliminates this terrible decision-making process for him. I started out with a great oatmeal cookie recipe from Texanerin and simply made a couple changes as per my preferences and my goal.
It took a few trial batches (which were all devoured without complaints, as is the theme in my home) until finally I had the perfect Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie!
NOT an oatmeal cookie with only a slight taste of peanuts and NOT a peanut butter cookie with some oats thrown in. This cookie recipe delivers the best of both worlds! Boom.
Ah, yes. The chewy texture of an oatmeal cookie (there are 2 full cups of oats in the recipe) with the delicious flavor of peanut butter.
Made with Brown Sugar and Quite Filling!
I wouldn’t go as far as calling these cookies healthy, but they almost are. There is just over one cup of brown sugar divided between 24 large cookies. They are a lot less sweet than any cookie you’ll find in a coffee shop, let me tell you.
Also, these cookies are quite filling, and considering they include a whole lot of oats and peanut butter (regular breakfast items), I won’t judge anyone who has them with their morning coffee. I may or may not have done so myself.
Some of the cookies also have an awesome hidden-surprise center in form of soft caramel squares. Konrad didn’t like that surprise too much since he is not a fan of caramel (shocker!), so I got them all. No skin off my nose!
I imagine adding some peanut butter chips would also be a wonderful addition to fancy up these cookies. As such, I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Get the best of both worlds of PB and oats with these Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies! You may even find some caramel...
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup peanut butter natural or regular
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups quick oats
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a heat-proof bowl melt the coconut oil and peanut butter. I just place the bowl in the preheating oven, but you could also melt them in the microwave or on the stove top.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Once the coconut oil and peanut butter are melted, add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir until everything is combined. Finally stir in the oats. It is a very thick cookie dough. You might need some elbow grease to combine everything or just use your hand to kind of knead the oats in.
- Roll and flatten the dough into 24 cookies. They don't spread much in the oven, so flatten them before baking.
- Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes until the edges are just set. The centers might still look a little glossy but don't be tempted to over bake these cookies.
- Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week (they stay soft the whole time).
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Check out these similar recipes!