Creamy Coconut Brown Rice with Curried Shrimp is an easy, gluten-free meal with tropical flavors. There is minimal hands-on cooking time thanks to the use of a rice cooker.
Let me tell you about this amazing coconut brown rice that had both Konrad and I standing at the kitchen counter and gobbling it up straight out of the rice cooker. In short, we LOVE this so much there is no time to transfer it to plates.
Ok, after the first try, I had to re-make it very soon after and that time we became more civilized and ate the coconut brown rice while sitting at the kitchen table - on actual plates. I even made this delicious curried shrimp to go with it. For myself. Because Konrad doesn't really eat seafood. More for me I say!
The aroma that fills our apartment while cooking this coconut rice can only be described as intoxicating. First, there are onions, garlic, and ginger that are softened in butter. All these together make a heavenly fragrance.
Then, the brown Jasmine rice also gets toasted for a couple of minutes. Everything is then steamed in the rice cooker with coconut milk. OH MY! Adding coconut to the scent that is already in the air, is just magical!
Maybe that's the reason that between the two of us (and the few bites Olivia eats), we can easily make the entire batch disappear. Regular serving size recommendations list ½ cup of cooked rice per person. I can almost guarantee you, that it won't work for this coconut rice. It's just soo hard to stop eating, especially while the amazing coconut-ginger-garlic aroma still fills the air.
Serving this meal with a big side salad might help. And of course, filling up on the delicious protein from the curried shrimp.
The shrimp is so delicious, easy and quick to make. So quick indeed that there is no need to get started before the rice cooker turns off. You can easily finish the shrimp while the rice is steaming.
Coconut Brown Rice with Curried Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ inch piece ginger grated
- 1 cup brown Jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ - 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ pound shrimp
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- On medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. Add sliced onion, minced garlic and grated ginger and cook until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the brown Jasmine rice and toast for another 2 minutes while stirring.
- Transfer everything to a rice cooker. Add coconut milk, salt and enough water according to package directions (e.g., if directions say 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid, add 1 cup water - coconut milk makes up the other cup. If the ratio is 1:1.5 only add ½ cup water).
- Turn the rice cooker on. Once it finishes cooking and turns off, let the coconut rice sit with closed lid for another 10 minutes before fluffing up the rice with a fork.
- Pad the shrimp dry and toss with curry powder and salt. Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink (3-5 minutes). Flip once.
- Serve the fluffed brown rice topped with curried shrimp. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on them and buying through them might result in a small commission for me. Thank you for helping to make this site possible!
Lastly, if you enjoyed this delicious recipe, try these, too!
- Shrimp Louie: The Best Shrimp Avocado Salad Recipe
- The Best Shrimp Pad Thai Recipe
- Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Rice Pilaf - Beef Plov
Curried shrimp, salads, or other protein-rich dishes complement coconut curry rice well.
Coconut rice pairs nicely with various curries, grilled meats, or roasted vegetables.
Yes, coconut rice has a subtle coconut flavor due to the use of coconut milk during the cooking process.
While rice is a traditional accompaniment to curry, other options like naan, roti, or bread can also be enjoyed with curry.