These pumpkin energy balls are a perfect healthy treat, or before or after workout snack, or whenever a sweet craving hits. They are no bake, gluten free, vegan & paleo-friendly and taste deliciously like autumn.
My Love of Healthy Snacks
If you’ve been following Leelalicious for a while, you know how much I like to make healthier desserts and treats.
Until recently, that was mainly for myself and for you, my fellow healthy treat lovers. Konrad, my husband, doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth (anymore) and I didn’t really give Olivia many sweet, dessert-like foods.
But now my baby is turning into an independent toddler (waahh…too fast!) who keenly observes everything I eat and will often demand her share of it. So now I have an even bigger motivator to eat mostly healthy, real food.
Having healthy little snacks like these Pumpkin Energy Bites handy for me and Olivia, is crucial when those snack cravings hit. My little munchkin loves these and I love giving her snacks that I know are made of only wholesome ingredients!
About These Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
These Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites are round bite-sized snacks that include nuts, seeds, protein powder, and pumpkin puree. There are many variations of energy bites; some may include oats and nut butter, while others may be made with dried fruit, seeds, or even chocolate. This version has a soft texture with pumpkin puree and dates, along with the crunch of cashews and the spiciness of pumpkin pie spice. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, though, you can use a mixture of traditional pumpkin spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
Tips for Making Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
These pumpkin pie energy bites are very straightforward to make, but here are some tips to help you.
- Be sure to soak the dates in hot water for about 10 minutes so that your food processor can blend them up easier.
- If you prefer to not use dates, you can replace them with 1/3 cup peanut butter or almond butter and a 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- Use almonds, pecans or walnuts instead of cashews if you like those better and for a different flavor profile.
- Feel free to roll the bites in cocoa powder instead of desiccated coconut if you please! Crushed cookies, toffee, and pepitas are also great for coating the bites.
- Rather than purchasing pumpkin pie spice, you can make my blend of Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice instead.
- For extra decadence, consider dipping the bites into melted dark chocolate and refrigerating them until set.
- Rather than including chia seeds, you can use hemp hearts instead.
So enjoy making your batch and get creative!
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites
These Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites are extremely easy to make and include less than 10 ingredients. They include a mixture of healthy ingredients like dates, pumpkin, chia seeds, pumpkin pie spice, and more.
1. To begin making them, soak the dates in water until they are softened. This will help them blend up in the food processor easily. The dates add sweetness to the bites while also acting as a binder.
2. Next, add the dates, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and salt to a bowl of a food processor, and blend them until smooth. This mixture, while adding flavour to the energy bites, will also help bind all of the other ingredients together.
3. At this point, you should add the nuts and chia seeds and pulse a few times to incorporate them into the mixture. At this point, you can also blend in some protein powder if you like.
4. If the mixture is quite soft, it is a good idea to chill it for at least 30 minutes before you divide it and shape it into bites.
5. Once you are ready to shape the mixture into bites, simply divide it into 16 equal-sized pieces. I am using a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon-sized).
6. Then roll into balls. If desired, you can roll them in some coconut for an attractive appearance. Once rolled, they will be ready to eat, but you can feel free to store them in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to eat them as well.
Check out these other delicious snack recipes!
Energy Energy Balls
Pumpkin Energy Bites - these little energy bites are perfect snacks for before or after the gym, or when a sweets craving hits. They are no-bake, gluten-free, vegan-&-paleo-friendly and taste deliciously like autumn.
- 1 cup dates pitted *
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1.5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup cashew nuts or other nuts**
- 1/4 cup chia seeds or hemp hearts
- 2-4 tablespoons protein powder optional
- desiccated coconut for rolling; optional
Soak the dates in water for 10 minutes to soften. Drain and add to a food processor.
Add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, + salt and process until smooth.
Add cashew nuts and chia seeds and pulse a few times. The nuts should be coarsely chopped.
Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes before forming into 16 bites. Optionally, roll each energy bite in desiccated coconut.
Store in the fridge or freezer.
*you can also replace the dates with 1/3 cup peanut/almond butter + 1/4 cup maple syrup (sugar-free liquid sweetener)
**or 2/3 cup rolled oats