Hummingbird Cake combines some of the best cake and dessert features there are. While it is super light and fluffy, it still has a nice and satisfying crunch to it from the nuts and the cream cheese frosting gives just the right amount of richness and body without making it too heavy or dense.
Right now I wish I could sit down on a soft and fluffy Hummingbird Cake.
You see, my husband and I went on a motorcycle road trip on Saturday. To be specific, my dear husband rode the motorcycle, while I was the backseat passenger… for 7 full hours!
K grew up riding motorcycles and all kinds of other 2-wheeled vehicles in South America. He used to transport his mother and sister and even his older brother. He just loved it and he was good at it, so everybody let him.
Here in SE Asia the easiest and most convenient mode of transportation are scooters. K has been manoeuvring us safely through Asian traffic for the last 12 months, always on a scooter. Around here people call them ‘motobikes’ [stressing the last syllable], but they are pretty small and best suited for city driving.
For the weekend we wanted to do something different and cruise the mountains around Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand. There are plenty of places renting out motorcycles and scooters, usually in all shapes and sizes. But we didn’t consider that it is festival week.
The city is bustling full of people. Tourists are coming to experience this holiday in Thailand’s cultural capital and locals are returning home to spend the holiday with family. And they all seem to be renting bikes.
Our original plan of renting a comfortable chopper didn’t pan out, simply because none were available anymore. And we tried many places. So we ended up with a small sports bike and we had a ton of fun riding outside of the city and exploring the mountainside, taking in fresh air and stunning views, but it wasn’t the most comfortable.
Two days later my behind is still complaining. Not being used to this kind of adventure I was DONE after our trip. I slept for almost 10 hours that night and then still had a looong Sunday afternoon nap. My bum lets me know every time I sit down on a hard chair that it hasn’t forgiven me yet.
It’s asking for fluffy, cushioned seats. Seats that remind me of the Hummingbird Cake I recently enjoyed at an outlet of The Coffee Bean.
To be honest, I had never heard of Hummingbird Cake until Carla from Carla’s Confections blogged about it on her site earlier this year. I was intrigued by the delicious pictures and the easy one-bowl, no mixer cake recipe.
While I didn’t have a change to bake one myself yet, her introduction to Hummingbird Cake made me try it as soon as I saw it in the coffee shop. I certainly didn’t regret it.
Have you tried Hummingbird Cake? What do you think? If you’d like to bake one at home, Carla’s recipe is posted below.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓-1/2 cup chopped walnuts and pecans, more for decoration
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple (or 15 oz/430g can for added pineapple in the filling)
- 2 mashed ripened bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 9 oz/250 g cream cheese, softened
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of milk
- 24 oz/700 g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare two 9” cake pan by greasing and flouring them. Put all cake ingredients into one large mixing bowl and stir everything with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Divide batter into prepared pans and bake for about 45 minutes (until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean). Cool layer in cake pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire cake and cool fully.
- Beat softened butter and cream cheese with mixer for about 5 minutes, until fluffy. Stir in vanilla and milk. Add icing sugar in small increments until you reach desired consistency.
- Level cake layers. Place one layer onto a cake platter, spread some of the frosting on top as filling and add remaining crushed pineapple, if desired. Top with second cake layer and ice the sides and top of the cake with the rest of the frosting. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and sides.