This festive Pomegranate Margarita from scratch is a perfect celebratory cocktail! It is made from 5 ingredients – none of which is neon coloured margarita mix.
Until very recently, my husband and I were rather boring with the alcoholic beverages we consumed at home. On hot days, or when eating burgers we would have cold beers.
And occasional glasses of red wine to relax in the evening. That was it!
However, we recently moved into a place with a lime tree right in front of the house. All the little limes are ripening like crazy, right on the tree.
And guess what? Tree-ripened limes turn yellow just like lemons!
So with this massive load of limes to deal with, we started experimenting with homemade margaritas. We are in Mexico after all – the home of all the delicious tequila.
It took a few trials and some tweaking of recipes/ratios we found online, but we’ve found our favorites (which are a little different for each of us).
My husband is a purist, while I like my fruity adulterations. Fitting for the holidays, I made a vibrant pomegranate version, including frosty rim (salt & sugar) and garland stir sticks.
Here is how I made the decorated garland cocktail stirrer:
I actually used Bamboo Appetizer Sticks instead of a cocktail stir stick. Then I carefully threaded two pomegranate arils onto the stick and wiped off the juice with a paper towel.
Next I folded and threaded up a lime slice. Followed by another two pomegranate arils. Be sure to wipe off the juice again.
More Delicious Beverage Recipes:
VIDEO: How to Make a Pomegranate Margarita
This festive Pomegranate Margarita from scratch is a perfect celebratory cocktail! It is made from 5 ingredients - none of which is neon coloured margarita mix.
- 2 ounces lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 ounces pure pomegranate juice
- 2 ounces water replace with more pomegranate juice for a fruitier margarita
- 2-3 ounces tequila blanco or reposado
- 1 ounce orange liquor like triple sec or Cointreau
- 1-2 ounces agave nectar
- for rim: lime wedge, salt & cane sugar
- To rim the glass, add some salt and sugar to a shallow plate. Wet the rim by sliding a lime wedge all around it. Dip the wetted rim into the salt & sugar mix. Set aside.
- The easiest way to measure out the margarita ingredients is with a 1 or 2 ounce shot glass.
- Add lime juice, pomegranate juice, water, tequila, orange liquor, and agave nectar to a cocktail shaker (a glass fitted with another glass on top works as replacement). Add a few ice cubes, close and shake until combined and chilled through.
- If you like your margarita 'on the rocks', add a few ice cubes to the prepared rimmed glass. Strain the mixed pomegranate margarita into the glass.
- Add a slice of lime on the side. If you made them, add a decorated stir stick.