You can make this vegan Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal for one or a family. It is a healthy breakfast option with delicious fall flavors. It is also gluten free, clean eating and can be made in the oven or as microwave baked oatmeal in under 5 minutes.
Overall very similar to a soft oatmeal cookie. Indeed later on, it inspired me to make this pumpkin mug cookie. I am including quantities and instruction to make just one or a family batch, that would also be great to divide into individual portions for meal prep.
Ingredients & Substitutions
The ingredients are the same whether you make a single serving or a big batch baked pumpkin oatmeal recipe. Only the quantities change.
- pumpkin puree - homemade or from a can
- sugar - I recommend coconut or brown sugar or maple syrup
- pumpkin pie spice - or a mix of what you have at home from cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves
- vanilla extract
- sea salt
- milk - almond milk or milk of choice
- rolled oats - certified gluten-free, if needed
- optional toppings - chopped pecans, chocolate chips, cranberries, raisins, more milk, drizzle of maple syrup, Greek yogurt...
See recipe box for quantities.
Step by step walk through of making this easy recipe
Instead of dirtying a separate bowl mix the pumpkin puree & spice, sugar, vanilla, salt and milk directly in a mug or baking dish.
Stir in the rolled oats until fully coated. Then scrape down the sides.
Microwave or bake the pumpkin baked oats.
Let cool a it, then serve with more milk and optional toppings.
Hint: To ensure the oats are cooked through the mixture should be set and not jiggly, even at the center.
When making a big batch, you can store the entire baking dish covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or wrap up individual portions to refrigerate or freeze (for up to 3 months).
This baked oatmeal is like a mix between a soft oatmeal cookie and granola. The edges will be crispier while the center is nice and chewy.
Yes, you can store this baked oatmeal in the freezer. Since this is an eggless baked oatmeal recipe, you won't have any texture issues that can happen with some frozen and thawed egg recipes. Freeze the cooked and cooled oatmeal packed up air tight. When ready to eat, thaw (can be done overnight in the fridge) and reheat as desired.
While regular oatmeal is cooked in water or milk to a mushy consistency, baked oatmeal uses less liquid and the final texture is more chewy.
More recipes like this one, you'll enjoy
Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal RECIPE
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar brown sugar or ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup almond milk or (dairy-free) milk of choice
- ½ cup rolled oats certified gluten free, if needed
Measurements for batch of 6 servings
- 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup coconut/brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups milk of choice
- 3 cups rolled oats
- In a mug/ramekin or a square baking dish (for big batch) whisk together the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, sea salt and almond milk until smooth and combined.
- With a small spatula stir in the rolled oats until fully coated. Level the pumpkin oatmeal mixture and scrape down the sides of the mug to clean them up.
- Place the mug/baking pan in an oven that is preheated to 350°F/180°C and bake for 25-30 minutes (35-40 mins for big batch) or until the pumpkin oatmeal bake is set - even in the center.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let it cool until safe to touch (it will be very hot straight from the oven).
Microwave Directions (for single serving):
- For a quick baked oatmeal, microwave the mug with the pumpkin oats for 3-4 minutes. Since microwaves vary in strength, start checking for doneness at around 2.5 minutes and keep adding 30-second intervals until the microwave baked oatmeal is set.
- Let cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Add your favorite toppings from chopped pecans, maple syrup or chocolate chips on top of the baked pumpkin oatmeal, add a little more milk (if desired), and enjoy!