This healthy whole grain pumpkin oat bread is made with chewy oats and spelt flour. Topped with cream cheese frosting and decadent pepita praline crunch.
I’ve been sitting on this recipe for quite a while already. Somehow it seems odd posting a pumpkin recipe when we are just heading into summer.
But this pumpkin quick bread is absolutely amazing! I just made it again for us and didn’t want to have to wait even longer to share it with you. It uses canned pumpkin, and that is available year-round after all.
The pumpkin puree makes for a super moist texture and the rolled oats make it chewy at the same time. Moist and chewy – both in the best way possible.
This recipe includes many wholesome ingredients, actually. It’s a quick bread that absolutely satisfies my dessert needs, but I also had it for breakfast. And it felt totally right and good.
First, there is whole wheat flour – I used stone-ground spelt flour with great results. Then, there are whole grain rolled oats and the loaf is sweetened with maple syrup only.
The praline crunch topping is based on coconut sugar.
Oh man, that topping. Toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) and rolled oats covered in a crunchy coconut sugar caramel shell. It’s like caramel corn without the popcorn.
You might know how much I love contrasts in food. And this pumpkin oat bread is the perfect mix of contrasting textures. Moist, chewy, creamy (the frosting), and the glorious crunchy topping.
I hope my description could entice you enough, to consider making this wonderful pumpkin bread recipe even if we are not in fall season.
Pumpkin Oat Loaf with Pepita Praline Crunch
- 3/4 cup (100 g) whole wheat flour I used spelt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (150 g) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (55 g) coconut oil melted
- 1 cup (100 g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (240 g) pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup (70 g) cream cheese softened and beaten
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a loaf pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl combine maple syrup, vanilla, eggs, and melted coconut oil.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add rolled oats and pumpkin puree and fold in.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let loaf cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. Remove parchment.
- Beat together cream cheese and maple syrup until smooth. Spread over cooled loaf.
- In a skillet dry roast the rolled oats and pumpkin seeds over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside. Turn heat to low and melt the coconut sugar, while stirring, until pale and creamy. Add the toasted seeds and stir to combine.
- Spread on a piece of parchment. Once fully cooled break into small bits and sprinkle over cream cheese frosting.
- Because of the cream cheese, the loaf should be stored refrigerated.