This delicious recipe for Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Fry is super quick to make and delivers big time on authentic Asian flavors. It is perfect for easy, weeknight dinners.
This meal is near and dear to my heart!
When Konrad and I first travelled to Thailand more than 4 years ago, we've never really had any exposure to Thai food before and we weren't very adventurous travellers/eaters yet. We quickly learnt to love Pad Thai, but honestly, it took a little time until we fully opened up to all the amazingness Thai food has to offer.
And I believe it was this chicken stir fry with cashew nuts that made all the difference. It was one of the first dishes we ordered from what would become our favorite street food vendor. It was absolutely delicious with tender chicken, crunchy cashews, colorful veggies and overall not too spicy.
Now, during our second long-term stay in Thailand, I set out to learn how to cook amazing Thai food. At a cooking class I recently took here in Chiang Mai, I was super excited to see that chicken and cashew stir fry was one of the recipes they taught. I was excited to learn how to make it at home for quick dinners, but was also looking forward to share it with you.
This easy chicken cashew recipe is amazing to have in your repertoire. It is really quick to make and you can totally switch up the vegetables to what you like and have in the fridge. That will not make the dish any less authentic.
At the market in Southern Thailand it was made with snow peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes and baby corn. In my cooking class it was pretty much the way I write out below, except for mushrooms instead of asparagus. I am not a huge fan of mushrooms and also thought this dish could use a bright pop of color - so I added green asparagus instead. Sliced bell peppers and broccoli would also be great in this Thai chicken stir fry.
The dried chili pepper pieces will add only a little heat. In the plated dish, they are only for garnish - don't try to eat them.
This cashew chicken recipe really is so quick and easy to cook. The accompanying rice might even take longer to steam. So be sure to set that on first. And maximal 20 minutes later, you can enjoy one of the best quick dinners there is!
Other Thai-inspired Recipes You'll Love:
Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) thinly sliced chicken (breast or thigh meat)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ medium onion sliced
- 4 baby corns sliced
- ½ cup asparagus 1-inch pieces
- 2 large dried red chili peppers cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoonfish sauce
- ½ cup roasted cashew nuts
- 2 green onions cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat the oil on high heat and stir fry the chopped garlic until browned. Add the sliced chicken and continue stir frying until the chicken is cooked through (3-5 minutes).
- Add the sliced onion, baby corn, asparagus and dried chili and stir fry until the veggies are softened a little.
- Now add the chicken broth, oyster sauce and fish sauce and stir to combine. Stir in the cashew nuts and green onion, then remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Products I used for this Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Fry:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support in making Leelalicious possible. I really appreciate it!