In this Vitamix 5200 Blender Review I am telling you about the best features of this blender model - also called Total Nutrition Center. I am sharing the pros and cons of my experience with it, the best recipes I make with it, and where you can buy it.
Or save up to 22% on Certified Refurbished Models!
Vitamix has been around since 1949. Ever since its first infomercial created in that same year, it has become one of the most notable names when it comes blenders. One of its flagship items is the Vitamix 5200 Standard, which I am sure you have already heard of. It’s an older blender model, but, in this Vitamix 5200 review, we’re going to find out why it is still so popular even if it was launched more than ten years ago.
What is the Vitamix 5200 Standard Blender?
The Vitamix 5200, also known as the Vitamix Total Nutrition Center in Canada and some other countries, is a blender that will help you make home-cooked meals for your family. It also comes in handy when you’re entertaining guests. From hot soups to delicious desserts, the Vitamix 5200 Standard can handle your needs no matter what course you’re preparing.
An Instant Blender Classic
In 2007, the Vitamix 5200 blender was released to replace the former flagship model of brand - the Vitamix 5000. Compared to its predecessor, it was developed with a more efficient motor plus a BPA-free, more durable container.
So, why has it stuck around all this time when there are other Vitamix blenders that have already been discontinued? I can’t really say the exact reason, but from my experience with it, it’s most likely because people like having it in their kitchens - it’s simple, it gets the job done, and it’s easy to clean.
So, what’s inside the box exactly?
When you order the Vitamix 5200 blender, you will get the motor base and the classic 64-ounce container, of course. Plus, the classic tamper, as well as the Getting Started Guide. It’s just like most blenders I’ve ordered in the past, with the exception of the tamper.
For you to get better acquainted with each of the components, you can review the information below:
1. 2-Peak Horsepower Motor
The motor is a 2-peak horsepower motor which is pretty powerful. According to the website, it can pulverize seeds. The cord is long enough, about 6ft, to reach a farther power outlet. That might be too much slack for some, but living in an older house with outlets few and far between I really appreciate it. And, you can always store the excess slack underneath.
2. Classic 64-Ounce Container
At 64 ounces, I am really happy that the BPA-free container can handle large batches. The shape of the inside was specifically designed to make a controlled vortex that pulls everything down to the blades so all of the components are mixed well. Best of all, this classic 64-ounce container is compatible with all the blenders in the C-Series or Classic Series.
Although the container is quite tall and the assembled container and base probably won't fit under your kitchen cabinet. The 5300 model with low profile container may be a better fit, if easy countertop storage is important to you. However, from other's experience I've gathered that the tall, vortex-producing container seems to do a better job at consistent, smooth blending.
You don’t have to worry about the blades rusting because they are made of stainless steel measuring 2.8in or 7.1 cm in diameter. There’s also no need to sharpen them because they have been laser cut.
3. Classic Tamper
The tamper can only be used for the classic 64-ounce container. Although the 2-peak horsepower motor is powerful, the tamper can help accelerate the process of blending when dealing with thick or frozen mixtures. With it, the circulation is maintained and the formation of air pockets is prevented. It is BPA-free too and dishwasher safe (top rack). It's an essential tool for making Vitamix Nice Cream.
4. Blender Starting Guide
The starting guide is there to help you get started with the blender. It’s good to read, but if you have handled blenders before, the knobs and controls are easy to operate and understand. You still need to read the guide, though, just so you know some safety tips.
Vitamix 5200 Standard Blender Main Features
Now that you know what you’re going to get when you purchase the Vitamix 5200, let’s get into the features. I’ve already touched on them lightly but I’d like to review the features a little deeper because the value is really in what it can do:
Blender with 1380 Watts
Average blenders usually have 300 to 600 watts of power. It’s enough to blend regular ingredients, but it won’t be able to handle thick or frozen mixtures. The Vitamix Blender 5200, on the other hand, has a whopping 1380 watts. I like blenders with higher watts because the higher the watts the more versatile the blender will be, making it ideal for whatever dish you’re preparing.
Did you know that you can also make soup in the blender itself? After you have chopped up all your ingredients, you can set the blender to speed dial to high for about 6 minutes to produce enough friction heat for making hot soup.
Automatic Overload Protection
I appreciate that the Vitamix 5200 has an automatic overload protection feature. This means that the powerful blender motor will automatically shut off to protect itself from overheating. If this happens, all you have to do is turn off the power switch for 45 minutes to reset it. Don’t forget to unplug it and remove the container while the blender is resetting.
The Stainless Steel Blade
The classic 64-ounce container is a wet blade container that can handle the majority of the recipes I do. The blades were made to process liquids, including juice, frozen mixtures, sauces, soups, purees, batters, and for wet chopping. Despite this, it can still grind grain and knead dough but not as efficient as the dry blade (this accessory you can purchase separately). The wet blade is made of stainless steel and has been laser cut so it will never require sharpening. The blades will be just as sharp five years after as it was when you first got your blender.
7-Year Blender Warranty
It’s just fantastic that the Vitamix 5200 comes with a 7-year warranty. From a consumer’s perspective, this makes me feel more confident when making a purchase. You’d have to go through the necessary process, of course, like registering your blender through the website or by calling the Vitamix hotline.
Where to buy the Vitamix 5200 Blender? And how much is it?
From what I can see at the moment Amazon has the best prices for the Vitamix 5200.
At the time of writing the Vitamix 5200 is listed there at $389 - 423. The price range stems from the different colour options. The lowest price is for the white one and the highest for the black; red is right in the middle.
It is also available refurbished for $329 with black as only colour option, HERE!
The Recipes I’ve Done with the Vitamix 5200
In this Vitamix 5200 review, I’m glad to highlight that I have used mine thoroughly. I’ve made a couple of frozen treats like ice cream, tahini, smoothies, peanut and cashew butter, and coconut bread flour. Of all these recipes, I thought I’d share ones that are the easiest to do:
1. Coconut Butter
All you need for this coconut butter spread are shredded or flaked coconut and a high-speed blender. In this case, the Vitamix 5200. Fill the container with the shredded coconut (it should be at least half way full). Turn on the Vitamix 5200 and grind the coconut meat down to smooth and creamy consistency. The tamper is really helpful and necessary in this recipe.
2. Blender Salsa
This easy restaurant-style blender salsa is easy to whip up with just a few healthy, fresh ingredients. It's great for dipping or to use in any Mexican recipes. Some ingredients need to be pre-chopped, but then I mixed everything together in my Vitamix 5200!!
3. Homemade Peanut Butter
Peanut butter might be intimidating to do when you don’t know the actual process, but it’s actually simpler than you think. All you need are 2 cups of peanuts (preferably dry roasted), some sea salt or you can skip this if you’re using salted peanuts already. Lastly, add in some chopped peanuts if you want chunky peanut butter.
I've used my Vitamix 5200 in many more recipes on my site. If you’d like to check out even more recipe, you can click on this link: Simple Recipes for your Vitamix Blender (I have a couple of banana ice cream recipes that you'll love).
There are also plenty of recipes you can check on Vitamix’s official website. From soups, baby food, batters, sauces, dips, and so on, there are plenty of recipes you can explore. In this link, you can, as Vitamix says, “Learn What You Can Make.”
Blender Cleaning Tips
Now that you know what you can do with the Vitamix 5200, you might want to know how to clean your blender after you use it. Don’t worry, the cleaning process is super easy. Just follow these simple steps:
- Fill the container half full with warm water and add a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing detergent to the container.
- Snap or push the complete 2-part lid into locked position.
- Select variable speed 1. Turn the motor on and slowly increase speed to variable speed 10, then to High.
- Run the machine at high speed for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Turn off the machine, and drain and rinse the container.
The motor base can be cleaned as well. But, only with a damp soft cloth or a sponge. Try the following instructions:
- Unplug the power cord.
- Wipe the outside surface with a damp soft cloth or sponge, which has been rinsed in a mild solution of liquid detergent and warm water. Do not place the motor base in water.
- The centering pad can be removed for more thorough cleaning.
- Thoroughly clean the switches so they work freely. They may become sticky from use. Use a moistened cotton swab to clean the grooves around the water-shielded switches. Immediately dry any excess water.
- Polish with a soft cloth.
- As already mentioned, the tamper is dishwasher-safe (top rack).
What if my Vitamix 5200 Blender Overloads?
If this happens, don’t panic. If it overloads, remember that your Vitamix 5200 blender will automatically shut off to prevent itself from overheating. Just follow the instructions I mentioned earlier like switching it off and unplugging it to do a reset. But, just so you don’t have to go through this, here are a few tips:
- Do not process recipes at lower speeds than recommended.
- Do not process recipes at higher speeds than recommended.
- Do not process recipes longer than recommended.
- Use your tamper to process thicker mixtures and keep ingredients moving around and through the stainless steel blades.
Blender General Safety Tips
- Alteration or modification of any part of the blender base or container, including the use of any part or parts that are not genuine or authorized Vitamix parts may cause fire, electric shock, or injury.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not let the cord hang over the edge of the table or counter
- Do not let the cord contact hot surface, including the stove
- The tamper provided must be used only when the main part of the lid is in place.
- Handle or remove blade and blade assembly from the container with extreme care to avoid injury. To reduce the risk of injury, never place a blade assembly on the motor base unless assembled to the Vitamix container
- Do not leave foreign objects, such as spoons, forks, knives, or the lid plug, in the container as this, will damage the blades and other components when starting the Vitamix blender and may cause injury.
Is the Vitamix 5200 Worth the Price?
So far in this Vitamix 5200 review, we’ve already discussed most of the aspects that make this blender a great buy, but let's also talk about the price. The cost of the blender of around $400 (depending on where and which colour you choose) is quite hefty. For me, though, this blender is going to be in my kitchen for a long, long time. For your reference, here are some PROs and CONs that I can think of that you may consider before actually doing your purchase.
- The wattage is enough to handle thick or frozen mixtures. It has a powerful motor.
- It can make hot soup.
- The blender has variable speed settings (high and low speeds).
- The blades can last a long time without needing to be sharpened.
- The container and the tamper are BPA-free.
- The blender's long cord can be stored neatly underneath the motor.
- The tamper is very useful in helping with thicker mixtures, preventing the blender from overloading.
- Vitamix 5200 has an internal cooling system that lessens the likelihood of overload.
- The automatic powering off is useful just in case you overdo it.
- The 7-year warranty is much appreciated.
- The powerful motor can get loud when you blend.
- Price is on the higher side.
- The 64 oz container is very tall and doesn't fit under most kitchen cabinets.
Vitamix 5200 Review Summary
The Vitamix 5200 blender is reliable, simple, and it’s very helpful in the kitchen. Some people have had theirs last for ten years and more. I’ve only had mine for a couple, but I am looking forward to more years with it. The 7-year warranty makes me feel comfortable that I am buying from a company that’s confident in their product. I hope this review could help you decide whether this blender is right for you and your family.
With the Vitamix 5200 on your side, you’ll be able to make your sauces, frozen treats, soups, and others with ease. If you always cook for your family, or if you enjoy making different dishes in the kitchen, then you know how important it is to have a reliable blender by your side.
Leave a Reply