These Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes are crisped to perfection either in the air fryer or baked in the oven. Don't forget the delicious sweet and tangy mayo + BBQ sauce dip.
While you could pick green tomatoes all summer long, it is usually at the end of the season, when frost is threatening the precious tomato plants that we gardeners pick off any remaining unripe tomatoes. Some may still be able to ripen off the plant, but if they are still fully green, it's best to find a use for the green tomatoes in that unripe state. Chow chow - a green tomato relish is one popular way to use green tomatoes.
Another great use are fried green tomatoes. Green tomatoes are firm and less watery than ripe tomatoes, so they are perfect for holding their shape and not causing too much splatter when frying. Thick slices of green tomatoes are breaded and usually shallow or deep fried in a lot of oil. This recipe gives 2 alternative methods to prepare fried green tomatoes with less oil: Air fryer fried green tomatoes and oven baked green tomatoes.
For this recipe you need firm green tomatoes, and the ingredients for the breading which include flour, egg, Panko breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Use an olive oil spray or mister to spray the breaded tomato slices, or a silicone brush to brush on a thin layer of oil.
For the Air Fried Green Tomatoes:
- green tomatoes
- Panko bread crumbs - regular bread crumbs can be substituted
- Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- dried parsley - use other seasoning/herbs like garlic powder etc.
- oil - to brush, or use a cooking spray
- Wash the green tomatoes and cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- Dredge each slice in flour, dip in egg, and cover with breading mix of Panko, parmesan, and seasoning
- Spray oil or brush the tops with a light coat of oil
- Air fry at 400°F for 5 minutes. Flip, coat with another oil layer and air fry another 3-5 minutes
- Whisk together all ingredients for the BBQ dip and serve with the hot air fried green tomatoes
Hint: Make sure the green tomato slices aren't overlapping. Air fry them in a single layer, in several batches as needed.
See recipe box below for oven baked instructions.
I love the optional sweet & tangy BBQ sauce dip with these fried green tomatoes. If you don't like mayonnaise based dips, you can also pair them with this Thai Sweet Chili Sauce or my Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing Dip.
Fried green tomatoes are best enjoyed hot soon after making. If you end up with leftovers, place them in a airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat, place the fried slices back into the air fryer until hot and crispy again.
Green tomatoes take about 8-10 minutes to cook in the air fryer. 5 minutes from one side, and another 3-5 minutes on the other.
This air fryer or oven baked version of fried green tomatoes is certainly healthier than the deep fried counterpart due to a much lower use of oil. If the flour and breadcrumb coating doesn't align with your diet, you might try ground up pork rinds for a low carb or keto breading alternative.
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes - oven baked option
- 1 Air Fryer or use oven method
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- ⅔ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ tablespoon oil or mister spray
- Wash and dry the green tomatoes. Cut off the ends, then cut into ¼ inch or ⅔ cm thick slices.
- Prepare three little plates. Place the flour in one shallow dish. Beat the egg in another. And combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt & pepper, and dried parsley in the third bowl.
- Dredge the tomato slices in flour and shake off excess. Then dip in the beaten egg mixture and place in the bread crumb mixture. Turn to coat from all sides and press in to make the crumbs adhere.
- Spray the top of the breaded tomato slices with a light coating from the oil mister, or lightly brush on a little oil onto the outside.
Air Fryer Method
- Place the breaded green tomato slices in the air fryer basket in a single layer. You'll have to work in batches. Air fry at 400°F/200°C for 5 minutes.
- Then flip the tomato slices and coat with another thin layer of oil. Then air fry for another 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat with subsequent batches.
Oven Baked Method
- Preheat your oven to 450°F/230°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
- Place the breaded green tomato slices on the prepared baking sheet and bake on the lower middle rack for 10 minutes. Flip the slices and bake for another 10 minutes.
Tangy BBQ Dip
- To prepare the BBQ dip in a small bowl stir together until combined the mayo, yogurt, BBQ sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce.
- Serve the air fryer or baked fried green tomato slices hot with prepared dip.