These Baked Zucchini Patties contain more vegetables than meat, but you wouldn’t even know it. They are that delicious!
Do you still have zucchini in your garden or CSA box?
We got quite a few of them from our farmer this year. And may I just say, I still love the concept of buying direct from farmers using our CSA box. We love supporting this venture, and it aligns with our values.
As for the zucchini, there were these zucchini muffins we made for healthy grab-and-go breakfasts. But we also love zucchini in savory meals. This year’s discovery was zucchini patties!
Deceptively Healthy and Fully Delicious!
They aren’t vegetarian, but more veggies than meat go into these patties. And you wouldn’t even be able to tell. That’s how delicious they are.
The grated zucchini together with the breadcrumbs and eggs make for a wonderfully juicy texture that is super tender.
And although these patties might look fried, they are actually BAKED! (I find them just a little too moist and fragile to throw them on the BBQ).
Get Rid of Excess Water For Perfect Patties
In order to make the zucchini work for these patties, you have to get rid of some excess water. I grate it with the shredding attachment of my food processor (so much easier and faster than hand grating) and I let it stand combined with a teaspoon of salt to draw out more water.
Before combining the grated zucchini with all the other ingredients, I am removing as much water as possible. For that, I grab it by the handful and squeeze it out over the sink.
I know it’s a little extra work and kind of hands on, but necessary so your patties don’t swim away. Plus, hey, it’s fun to flex the muslces in the kitchen.
Season Them How You Like And Enjoy!
Aside from salt and pepper, I season these with curry powder and chili powder to make them more interesting. If curry and chili aren’t your thing, feel free to omit or substitute these (maybe more salt and pepper).
I don’t make these patties too thick, in order to ensure they will bake through properly. If you would like to use them on burgers, you can always double up on the patties.
We usually eat these zucchini patties straight up with noodles or sweet potato fries on the side. Absolutely delcious. Enjoy!!
Baked Zucchini Patties
These Baked Zucchini Patties contain more vegetables than meat, but you wouldn't even know it. They are that delicious!
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini about 2 medium or 1 large, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- 3/4 pound ground beef or other ground meat
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper freshly ground
- Grate the zucchini (to speed things up I use my food processor with shredding attachment). Combine with 1 teaspoon of salt and let stand for about 10 minutes to draw out excess water.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets.
- Squeeze out as much water from the grated zucchini as possible and place in to a large bowl. Combine with all remaining ingredients and form patties from about 1/4 cup of the mixture.
- Place patties on prepared baking sheets and slide onto the lower center rack of your oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes on one side, then flip the patties and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Serve on small buns as sliders or with any sides (we like baked sweet potato fries or pasta with these).
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Check out these similar recipes!