This post is sponsored by All-Bran Canada. All-Bran Buds cereal makes the awesome crunch topping in this Creamy Chicken Brown Rice Casserole with Cauliflower Sauce.
What comes to mind when you think of comfort food? For me nothing spells comfort food better than cozy casserole. Which absolutely doesn’t mean it has be dense, rich or heavy.
I just read that one of the hottest food trends this fall is “comfort food moderne” — healthy, upscale comfort food. According to that, this Creamy Chicken Brown Rice Casserole is absolutely on trend then.
To change up the classic and make it healthier, I use brown rice in this casserole, together with bright broccoli florets and juicy brined chicken, all coated in a creamy cauliflower sauce.
Ever since I made a creamy sauce from cauliflower for the first time, I love to use it in casseroles. No cans of cream of something soup + you are sneaking in an extra serving of vegetables just with the sauce.
The cauliflower sauce makes the dish nice and creamy, so that only a little cheese is needed on top to finish it off.
And to add some texture + extra fibre the casserole is topped with a crunchy All-Bran Buds topping.
I think my love for casseroles has to do with the fact, that they have all components of a good meal combined in one dish. You have your carb (brown rice), protein (chicken) and vegetable serving (broccoli + cauliflower sauce) all in a yummy sauce with cheesy and crunchy topping.
In this case, the crunchy All-Bran topping also helps with your fibre intake. Did you know that 25 g of daily fibre are recommended to promote good health?
Most Canadians struggle to meet that recommendation. However, with All-Bran cereal it is so easy to get an extra fibre fix with your meals. And it is absolutely not limited to breakfast.
You can find even more high fibre recipe inspiration by connecting with All-Bran on Pinterest.
When you make an All-Bran recipe be sure to snap a photo and share it to enter this fantastic giveaway.
- 1.5 cups brown Jasmine rice
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- ¾ cup All-Bran Buds
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cauliflower florets
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper + chilli powder
- Cook the brown rice according to directions. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with plenty of salt from all sides and let sit for at least 20 minutes. This works like brining and will make for tender chicken.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Remove 2 tablespoons and set aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic slices in melted butter on low heat until caramelized (about 20 minutes).
- Bring broth to a boil and add cauliflower florets. Cook for 7-10 minutes until tender. Remove cauliflower with a slotted spoon to reserve the broth and add to a blender. Add caramelized onions and garlic, ½ cup of the broth, milk and seasonings. Blend everything into a very smooth sauce. Add more broth if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a casserole dish (9x13 inches) and spread the cooked rice over the bottom.
- Return the remaining broth to a boil. Blanch the broccoli florets for 1 minute until they turn bright green. Add the cauliflower to the casserole.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in the frying pan. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and quickly brown them from all sides. Add chicken to the casserole dish.
- Pour the cauliflower sauce over the rice, broccoli and chicken. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Combine last tablespoon of melted butter with All-Bran Buds and spread over the top of the casserole. Bake for about 30 minutes for everything to heat through. The cheese should be bubbly and the All-Bran topping crispy.
Disclosure: As brand ambassador I received free product and compensation from All-Bran Canada. All opinions are as usual my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Leelalicious possible.