This post is sponsored by All-Bran Canada. All-Bran Buds cereal makes the awesome crunch topping in this Creamy Chicken Brown Rice Casserole with Cauliflower Sauce.
What comes to mind when you think of comfort food? For me nothing spells comfort food better than cozy casserole. Which absolutely doesn't mean it has be dense, rich or heavy.
I just read that one of the hottest food trends this fall is “comfort food moderne” — healthy, upscale comfort food. According to that, this Creamy Chicken Brown Rice Casserole is absolutely on trend then.
To change up the classic and make it healthier, I use brown rice in this casserole, together with bright broccoli florets and juicy brined chicken, all coated in a creamy cauliflower sauce.
Ever since I made a creamy sauce from cauliflower for the first time, I love to use it in casseroles. No cans of cream of something soup + you are sneaking in an extra serving of vegetables just with the sauce.
The cauliflower sauce makes the dish nice and creamy, so that only a little cheese is needed on top to finish it off.
And to add some texture + extra fibre the casserole is topped with a crunchy All-Bran Buds topping.
I think my love for casseroles has to do with the fact, that they have all components of a good meal combined in one dish. You have your carb (brown rice), protein (chicken) and vegetable serving (broccoli + cauliflower sauce) all in a yummy sauce with cheesy and crunchy topping.
In this case, the crunchy All-Bran topping also helps with your fibre intake. Did you know that 25 g of daily fibre are recommended to promote good health?
Most Canadians struggle to meet that recommendation. However, with All-Bran cereal it is so easy to get an extra fibre fix with your meals. And it is absolutely not limited to breakfast.
Last week I shared this delicious baked falafel appetizer with you, which was made with All-Bran. Today we have a dinner recipe and there also is a yummy dessert on the way.
You can find even more high fibre recipe inspiration by connecting with All-Bran on Pinterest.
When you make an All-Bran recipe be sure to snap a photo and share it to enter this fantastic giveaway.
Chicken Brown Rice Casserole with Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
- 1.5 cups brown Jasmine rice
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- ¾ cup All-Bran Buds
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cauliflower florets
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper + chilli powder
- Cook the brown rice according to directions. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with plenty of salt from all sides and let sit for at least 20 minutes. This works like brining and will make for tender chicken.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Remove 2 tablespoons and set aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic slices in melted butter on low heat until caramelized (about 20 minutes).
- Bring broth to a boil and add cauliflower florets. Cook for 7-10 minutes until tender. Remove cauliflower with a slotted spoon to reserve the broth and add to a blender. Add caramelized onions and garlic, ½ cup of the broth, milk and seasonings. Blend everything into a very smooth sauce. Add more broth if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a casserole dish (9x13 inches) and spread the cooked rice over the bottom.
- Return the remaining broth to a boil. Blanch the broccoli florets for 1 minute until they turn bright green. Add the cauliflower to the casserole.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in the frying pan. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and quickly brown them from all sides. Add chicken to the casserole dish.
- Pour the cauliflower sauce over the rice, broccoli and chicken. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Combine last tablespoon of melted butter with All-Bran Buds and spread over the top of the casserole. Bake for about 30 minutes for everything to heat through. The cheese should be bubbly and the All-Bran topping crispy.
Disclosure: As brand ambassador I received free product and compensation from All-Bran Canada. All opinions are as usual my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Leelalicious possible.
Maybe I’m missing something but what is done with the rest of the broth? Only a bit is blended in the sauce, the rest is for blanching the broccoli..and then its discarded? Just wanting to make sure I’m reading/interpreting correctly. 🙂
Hi Cheryl, I use broth to cook the cauliflower to give it more flavor. But only some of that is needed for the sauce. You can use the remaining broth for the next time you make soup. Or alternatively, use just salted water for cooking the cauliflower which wouldn't be as wasteful to discard
Cauliflower sauce sounds awesome. I love how cauliflower is the new trend.
Love that you have used it to create a warm comfort food. Yes, to casseroles.
Cauliflower has always been one of my favorite vegetables. So this is a trend I can easily get behind 🙂
Sarah @ The Chef Next Door
This looks delicious! I love warm and comfy casseroles like this!
Whether I am hosting a friendly gathering or serving a weeknight family dinner, casserole is sure to be just right for any occasion. I love your recipe!!
We love cauliflower around here! I bet this sauce is delicious!!
Matt @ Plating Pixels
Casseroles definitely come to mind when I think of comfort food, those are some of my favs. But All Bran didn't come to mind when I think of casserole. But I'm always up to try unique things!
Love how this sauce sounds!
I assure you it also tastes delicious 🙂
That's a great idea. We love cauliflower.
Cauliflower is so versatile and delicious!
Love the extra fiber in this!
It gives this casserole such a great crunch topping.
What a great way to add a little crunch and some extra fiber!
Thanks so much Danita 🙂
Jillian @ Food, Folks and Fun
This dish looks delicious and so nutricious!
Thank you so much, Jillian
I have just jumped on the cauliflower train (how did I not know how awesome it was until just a few weeks ago) and your idea of using it as a base for the sauce.... BRILLIANT!! I can't wait to try this!!
I love cauliflower nut took me a while to warm up to the idea of cauliflower sauce. Now I love it in sooo many things 🙂
Ohhh, how clever. I was wondering what is the topping. I have left a comment on your FB page too. My eyes drawn to this because it look so healthy and yummy
Ahh...thanks so much Shiho 🙂
This looks delicious and healthy. I'm a big fan of cauliflower. Your photos are inviting.
Many thanks for your kind comment, Mark
AiPing | Curious Nut
I'm a big fan of cauliflower sauce too. They're so delicious aren't they. 🙂
Yes! I LOVE cauliflower, especially has healthy sauce 🙂
This looks good! I wonder if my kids would eat it!
I bet they would! My toddler loves this although she isn't a picky eater (yet?) 🙂
Melissa | Persnickety Plates
This sounds so good! Cauliflower sauce <3
I too love cauliflower sauce 🙂