This delicious, hearty Chicken Chickpea Curry is made with Swiss chard, coconut milk, and chickpeas – a perfect dinner recipe the whole family will savor.
Is heart-and-belly-warming comfort food AT. ITS. BEST. I’m talking full, flavorful curry that will knock your fluffy wool socks off.
This, my friends, is rich, coconut curry with seared chicken pieces and delicious chickpeas and Swiss chard. I know, I know, this blog is mostly about baked goods. However, over the last couple of years, I have grown to love and appreciate savory foods. Plus, I cook them all the time for my family (and I would guess you do too!). As such, why not share some savory love and hit you with the curry and Swiss chard action. Let’s dive right in.
Swiss Chard Is Versatile In Dishes Like Chicken Curry
If, like my family, you are signed up for a CSA box (I talk more about CSA boxes here), you are probably familiar with this leafy green vegetable: Swiss chard, baby.
Or, maybe you are just generally well-versed with your vegetables. But I sure didn’t know about and had never tried Swiss chard before this summer.
We’ve had red and yellow varieties and I ended up using it much like I would use fresh spinach; for omelettes or egg scrambles, for example. I quite like the flavor. It’s a large, leafy green, and when it is cooked, it becomes soft and compliments good, thick dishes like this one very nicely.
A Flexible Dish, Make It As Spicy As You Wish
And then, this wonderful curry happened. Oh, it happened. In fact, I can’t stop thinking about it. I CAN’T WAIT to make again. It’s perfect. If you like, you can easily freeze the leftovers for another day and then simply heat it back up. Speaking of which, you could make a larger portion and freeze individual sizes for lunches or dinners. So flexible!
I really like some spice to my food, but unfortunately I can’t handle too much. My stomach just revolts. So I toned down the spice a bit by using only 1 tablespoon of curry paste. Feel free to use 2-3 tablespoons if you love it spicy and can handle it too 😉
Chicken Chickpea Curry with Swiss Chard
This delicious, hearty Chicken Chickpea Curry is made with Swiss chard, coconut milk, and chickpeas - a perfect dinner recipe the whole family will savor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste 2-3 if you like more heat
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can coconut milk 14 oz.
- 2 cups water
- 1 can can chickpeas 14 oz., drained & rinsed
- 1 bunch Swiss chard rinsed, trimmed, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon Thai basil fresh, cut into ribbons
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the cubed chicken and cook 8-10 minutes. Stir in chopped onion and garlic and cook until softened (5-6 mins).
- Add curry paste + powder, salt, cinnamon, coconut milk and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the rinsed chickpeas and remaining cup of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finally add in sliced Swiss chard and basil ribbons. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until Swiss chard is softened.
- Serve with rice.
Inspired by The Crepes of Wrath
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Check out these similar recipes!