This moist Pumpkin Chocolate Gingerbread Loaf recipe is a delicious and healthy seasonal treat. It is made with whole wheat flour and no refined sugar – even that glorious icing drizzle is made from clean ingredients.
This chocolate Gingerbread Loaf is an amazing treat to enjoy in the holiday season – or anytime of year. Whenever the gingerbread cravings hit you!
But because this ginger loaf has both pumpkin and gingerbread flavors I think it is actually a great transitional treat. We’ve got pumpkin paired with gingerbread, which is perfect for the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Have any leftover pumpkin puree from the Thanksgiving pie? This gingerbread loaf is a great way to use it up.
The pumpkin puree is mainly used for moistening this quick bread. Chocolate and gingerbread (spices + molasses) predominate the flavor of this loaf cake.
As decadent as this recipe may sound, it is actually quite healthy. It is made with white whole wheat flour.
Also, honey and molasses are the only sweeteners used. Although the icing looks like powdered sugar glaze, it is actually made from coconut cream and honey!
So yes, go ahead and delve into Christmas making and don’t feel even a little bit bad about it.
More Gingerbread Recipes:
And if you love gingerbread flavors as much as me, you’ll also enjoy these recipes
Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons oil like grapeseed oil or melted refined coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon gingerbread spice mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips optional
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350° F and line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper (or grease and flour it).
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, honey, molasses, oil, egg, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In another bowl whisk white whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, gingerbread spice mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Finally fold in dark chocolate chips, if desired. Then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the gingerbread loaf for about 25-30 minutes until the top springs back when lightly pressed or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert on a wire rack to let cool fully.
- For the icing whisk together coconut cream, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled loaf just before serving, otherwise the white icing will absorb a brown color from the gingerbread loaf.
This makes a small loaf. For a larger, full loaf you can double the recipe and bake it in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan for about 40 minutes.