Indulge in these wonderfully made Dulce de Leche Brownies with peanut butter and an authentic baking style!
Picture this. You cannot imagine my excitement when I saw that our current place that we are renting on Bali actually has a kitchen with an oven! This is the very first time I have seen this in SE Asia. Most seem to leave baking up to the bakeries around here. Not this time!
I couldn’t wait to try it. It’s a gas oven, so I asked a few of my friends from Instagram and got some good advice about lower temps and shorter baking times.
Since we are only staying for a short time, I didn’t want to haul in loads of ingredients for scratch cakes. Instead I bought a brownie cake mix (Pillsbury Chocolate Chunk) , and simply dressed them up.
Using My Oven to Make Brownies
There was a recipe on the box for peanut butter honey brownies, which with a little adapting I turned into Peanut Butter Dulce de Leche Brownies!
Are you drooling yet? Well then, fair enough! Let's get to the recipe!
The peanut-butter-to-dulce-de-leche ratio you see in the picture is not correct. Once I started stirring them together I realized that equal parts of both were needed to achieve a smoother texture. I used chunky peanut butter, because I like my brownies with nuts usually, but you can also use the creamy kind. Your choice!
Making a Great Dulce De Leche
You can buy ready-made dulce de leche, or you can cook it down from milk and sugar (coming from South America, my mother-in-law is famous for her dulce from scratch. She will have to teach me sometime when we visit her in Calgary), or you can also make it from sweetened condensed milk.
Sweetened condensed milk is widely available around here, so I tried a technique for dulce de leche I faintly remember seeing my aunt use when I was little.
How is it done? Well, you pretty much just boil the can in a pot for a couple of hours covered in water. Then, I used the sweet and almost sinful concoction to "spice" up my brownies from a mix. Enjoy!
Dulce de Leche Peanut Butter Brownies Recipe
- 1 Brownie Mix for 8x8 or 9x9 pan, or try half of this https://leelalicious.com/zucchini-chocolate-brownies-recipe/
Prepare batter according to instructions, usually adding:
- ¼ cup butter melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- cooking spray or veg. oil to grease pan
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup Dulce De Leche
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease a 8 or 9" square baking pan with veg. oil or cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and dulce de leche until smooth.
- In a large bowl prepare brownie mix according to instructions usually adding melted, cooled butter, water and egg. Spread half of batter into baking pan. With a knife draw a grid into batter of how you would cut the brownies (4x4 pieces for 8" square pan) and using about ¼ of the PB-dulce mix spoon a little bit onto each piece. Carefully spread other half of batter on top.
- Bake for about 30 min. and let cool for 45 min.
- Spread remaining PB-dulce over brownies. Melt butter and chocolate chips in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over PB-dulce and let set for 45 min or in fridge. Cut into bars.
Pin this Dulce de Leche Peanut Butter Brownies recipe for later?
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Can't get enough of the baking? Check out these other delicious recipes!
Adding ingredients like sweetened condensed milk, caramel, or dulce de leche can significantly enhance the sweetness of brownies. You can also incorporate extra sugar or chocolate chips to amplify the sweetness.
Adjusting the ratio of ingredients such as flour, eggs, and fat can impact the texture of your brownies. To achieve a cake-like texture, increase the amount of flour and use more eggs. For a fudgier consistency, reduce the flour and use fewer eggs.
Coffee is often added to brownie recipes to intensify the chocolate flavor without adding a distinct coffee taste. It enhances the richness and depth of the chocolate, resulting in a more complex and satisfying brownie.
Mexican brownies typically include ingredients like cinnamon, chili powder, or cayenne pepper to add a spicy and rich flavor profile. These spices contribute to a unique and delightful twist on the traditional brownie.
Caramel de leche (aka dulce de leche) is a sweet and thick caramel sauce made by heating condensed milk or milk and sugar until it reaches a rich, golden-brown color. It is commonly used in various desserts and confections for its luscious and indulgent taste.