Super easy, no bake peanut butter chocolate bars with cornflakes.
The combination of peanut butter and chocolate never gets old for me. Did you know it was National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day in the US on March 1?
I know I am a few days behind but these bars are good for any day – holiday or not. And they also come together in no time with pretty much no preparation needed. Chances are you already have all ingredients on hand or in your pantry at least.
These peanut butter bars don’t require baking but use crushed cornflakes as base. That’s why they come together so quickly. You start out by crushing the cornflakes either in a food processor or place them in a freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
This time I left them a little coarser because I like crunchy desserts but it was too crunchy for my husband’s taste. If you also don’t like it too crunchy, crush the cornflakes longer until they are quite fine.
The original recipe from Food.com used sugar and corn syrup along with peanut butter as binder. It is not really easy to find corn syrup in Asia, so I replaced it with honey. I am always happy when I can cut out refined sugar from a recipe – unfortunately it doesn’t always work – but this time I was glad to see the bars were sweet enough and everything held together nicely once the crushed cornflakes were combined with the melted honey and crunchy peanut butter.
Before cutting the bars they are topped with a generous amount of melted chocolate. I added a tablespoon of smooth peanut butter while I was melting my chocolate. This adds yet another kick of peanut butter and makes the chocolate smoother and glossier. You can also use a tablespoon of butter to achieve this or just leave it out.
Here is a trick I recently learnt for easier and cleaner cutting of a layer of chocolate topping: When the melted chocolate has set a little (before you put the bars into the fridge) pre-cut a grid into the soft chocolate where you will cut the bars later. Now chill the bars until the chocolate has fully set, then use a (hot) knife to fully cut the bars. This way there will be no cracked chocolate anymore.
- 3 cups cornflakes, crushed
- 1 cup peanut butter, crunchy
- ½ cup honey
- 6 oz / 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate (chips)
- 1 tbsp butter or smooth peanut butter (optional)
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment or foil. Crush cornflakes either in a food processor or with a rolling pin in a freezer bag.
- Melt peanut butter and honey over low heat. Stir until smooth. If you are afraid of burning the mixture, you can also melt it on top of a double boiler.
- Stir in crushed cereal. Press mixture into prepared pan.
- Melt chocolate (with optional butter/peanut butter for extra smoothness) on top of a double boiler or in the microwave. Spread over top of peanut butter bars.
- Pre-cut the chocolate, then place pan in the fridge until firm. Fully cut the Peanut Butter Cornflakes Bars.
Also can’t get enough of peanut butter-chocolate treats? Here are a few more recipes: