Stir fry’s are perfect for when dinner has to be quick on a weeknight. This flavorful Ginger Beef Stir Fry comes together in 30 minutes or less (including marinating time).
Now that we are in Thailand, I absolutely understand why so many Asian dishes are quick stir fry’s. When it is hot and humid and you are in a perpetual state of sweat (unless the AC is running), you really don’t want to stand at a heat-inducing stove for too long.
Many traditional Thai homes actually have an outdoor kitchen. Perfect for keeping extra heat and cooking smells outside. It’s just too hot to stand at the fiery stove for long while also watching it heat up the house.
Which is not to say that all Thai/Asian dishes are quick to cook. There are plenty of soups, stews and rich curries that simmer for hours in order for all the amazing flavors to meld together. However, those types of dishes are rather hands-off. No need for constant stirring and tending to.
Cleaning Dishes Isn’t Fun – Hire Someone!
Another thing I really dislike doing in this hot humidity – is cleaning. I don’t mind cleaning the kitchen after I cook (although we hand-wash everything) and even laundry is no problem.
But we have hardwood floors throughout and both the dining room table and coffee table, are from glass. I feel like I just can’t keep up with cleaning after my messy toddler. Think fingerprints, footprints, crumbs, stains and toys EVERYWHERE! ALWAYS! I am sure all you other toddler moms can relate.
It’s caused me a good amount of stress and contention recently, so finally we inquired with the building management, if we would pay someone to clean our apartment. Wow… I wish we had done this sooner. We went out to run errands and came back to a nice smelling and CLEAN home. And all for less than $9!
More Time to Focus on Delicious Recipes Like This One
I just love it! More time to spend with my girl and come up with easy, delicious and quick recipes like this Ginger Beef Stir Fry.
A simple version of one of everyone’s favorite Chinese takeout dishes, this ginger beef stir fry comes together in just 30 minutes or so. It still packs a lot of flavor with fresh ginger + garlic and oyster sauce as a quick way to impart a savory-sweet sauciness.
Easy Ginger Beef Broccoli Stir Fry
Stir fry's are perfect for when dinner has to be quick on a weeknight. This flavorful Ginger Beef Stir Fry comes together in 30 minutes or less (including marinating time).
- 12 ounces beef steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Cut the beef steak against the grain into thin strips and marinate refrigerated in soy sauce + vinegar for at least 15 minutes. After marinating, pat the strips dry with paper towel before cooking.
- In a wok or well-seasoned pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and cook half of the beef strips on high for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the rest of the meat.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and stir-fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant for about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli to the pan and cook until bright green (1 minute). Add the beef broth and continue cooking until the broccoli florets are tender-crisp.
- Return the beef strips to the pan and add oyster sauce. Stir to combine and cook a couple more minutes to heat everything through.
- Serve with steamed rice.
* If you are really short on time, you could also omit the marinating. You’ll just compromise on flavour and tenderness a little.
* Make sure to cook the beef strips on high heat in batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Otherwise you will be cooking the meat in it’s own juices instead of stir-frying it.
* Oyster sauce is a savory-sweet Thai cooking sauce. It is a time-effective way to impart a lot of flavour without using too many ingredients.
Other Asian-Influenced Dinner Recipes
Check out these tasty dinner options and keep on cooking, friends!