This nutritious Whole Grain Spelt Bread Recipe with flax and sesame seeds is super easy to make. It is also much better and more economical than store bought bread.
I don’t make homemade bread often, but whenever I do bake my own loaves I wonder why that is. It always tastes delicious, I know exactly what’s in it and although it may not be a quick process, it is really easy with little hands-on time.
Growing up in Germany has set me up with high standards for healthy, hearty bread. If you ever walk into a German bakery, you will probably be surprised at all the different varieties they have. And none of it is even remotely like fluffy white Wonderbread toast.
And neither is my Whole Grain Spelt Bread Recipe. Instead it is hearty and somewhat dense, because it is made with 100% whole grain spelt flour plus wonderfully nutritious flax and sesame seeds. This means it is clean eating bread.
The bread dough can easily be made in a stand mixer with dough hook, but we don’t have a stand mixer while we are here in Thailand. I assure you though, even by hand this bread is easy to make.
You simply stir together the few ingredients until combined. Then you knead it just until a dough ball forms. Next step is to let the dough rise until doubled. This takes about 1.5 hours.
I tried letting it rise overnight, but this long a rising time gave the bread a distinct sourdough-like flavor. Which isn’t a bad thing, it just wasn’t what I was going for with this recipe. And my husband, who didn’t grow up on rustic German breads and is therefore a huge fan of fluffy white bread, wouldn’t eat it then.
After that you are ready to form the loaf and place it onto a baking pan. I love seeds, so I sprinkled some sesame on top of the loaf and made some vertical cuts. A little more rising time later and you are ready to bake that wonderful loaf of spelt bread.
I love a slice of bread homemade bread with just some salted butter. It also makes great lunches. These days my favorite lunch is a fried egg and avocado on a slice of hearty homemade spelt bread.
If you like this, please:
Easy Whole Grain Spelt Bread with Flax and Sesame
- 4-1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups water room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In large bowl whisk together spelt flour, flax and sesame seeds, yeast and salt until combined.
- Add water and honey and stir until a dough starts to form. Turn out on a flour surface and knead into a firm dough ball. Alternatively, you can make the dough in a stand mixer with dough cook attachment.
- Place the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a dry kitchen towel and let it rise until doubled in size (about 1.5 hours).
- Lightly grease a loaf pan (9x5 inches). Turn the risen dough out onto a floured surface and form into a loaf shape. Place the dough in the loaf pan; seam side down. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds. Make a few diagonal cuts across the loaf surface. Cover and let rise 30 mins to 1 hour. The loaf should look obviously bigger than before, but doesn't exactly have to be 'doubled in size'.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake the spelt bread loaf for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and crusty. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool fully.
- Tightly wrapped the spelt bread loaf keeps for about 4 days at room temperature. You can also wrap it airtight and freeze for later.