These Whole Wheat Scones with berries are so easy to make that you can quickly whip up a batch for breakfast or afternoon tea or coffee (if you aren’t feeling too British).
I am not sure why, but for some reason I always thought scones are difficult to make and require a lot of work. My was I wrong!
At least, these scones are super easy to make and they don’t take much time either. Totally doable for breakfast – at least on the weekend 🙂 And for an even simpler scone recipe try these 3-ingredients lemonade and cream scones.
I added berries to mine (blackberries and blueberries to be specific) because I am still trying to make up for 1.5 more or less berry-less years in SE Asia. So these days I am eating my weight in berries many times over.
These Scream Healthy! Also, A Teaser For Next Week
Another added bonus of these scones is that half of the flour in them is whole wheat flour. Berries plus whole wheat flour just screams healthy, right? I know you agree.
Anyway, this is now the third healthier breakfast recipe I am posting since we are back in Canada (4th if you count in a smoothie). I think I am starting to become predictable here. Time to break up the routine. Soon. Just not now.
Summer is right around the corner. So for next week, I actually have something super exciting planned for you. Make sure to come back and check it out. For now, I’ll only say that it’s a party and some very special guests are coming.
Easy Whole Wheat Berry Scones
These Whole Wheat Berry Scones are so easy to make that you can quickly whip up a batch for breakfast or afternoon tea.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar granulated
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 butter cold
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 - 1 cup berries I used fresh blue and black berries
- milk for brushing tops
- sanding sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. With a pastry blender (or fork) cut in cold butter until crumbly. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl beat egg until frothy. Add milk. Pour into well and stir everything with a fork to make a soft dough.
- Flour a surface and turn the dough out on it. Place berries on and carefully knead 8 to 10 times. Watch out not to crush the berries. Divide into 2 equal parts and form each into a 6 inch (15 cm) disk. Cut each circle into 6 wedges.
- Grease a baking sheet and place scones on it. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the scones have risen and are slightly browned.
Source: piece of paper in my MIL’s recipe drawer – looks like a copy from a cookbook but I can’t see which one.
Looking For More Healthier Breakfast Recipes?
How about fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes with Greek Yogurt?
And lastly, who could say no to Cinnamon Buns – especially if it’s a healthier version.