This gluten free lemon loaf is a delicious coconut flour version of classic lemon bread. Add optional poppy seeds to the batter, and drizzle the top with a yummy lemon glaze.
About this Gluten Free Lemon Loaf
This gluten free lemon loaf is not only gluten free, but also dairy-free. Rather than the usual wheat flour that lemon loaf contains, this one uses coconut flour as the gluten-free flour for this recipe. Also, rather than the recipe using butter, it includes olive oil for moisture and fat.
The lemon flavour in this loaf comes from a combination of lemon juice and lemon zest, which add a combination of tanginess and brightness. One great thing about this cake is the fact that you can use either maple syrup, sugar-free alternative, or granulated white sugar for your sweetener. The amounts will be a little different depending on whether you are using maple syrup or a granulated sweetener, though.
What Makes This Gluten Free Lemon Pound Cake Recipe Special
This gluten-free lemon pound cake is special because it is a versatile recipe you can make and suitable for multiple diets. It is also infused with a bright lemon flavor that all lemon lovers will enjoy.
A wonderful part of this recipe is that it includes a glaze with sugar and lemon juice. You combine these together into a pourable icing before you drizzle it over the cooled loaf. It will soak into the cake a little and give the loaf a lovely sheen.
How Do You Make Gluten Free Lemon Bread?
To begin making this gluten free lemon bread, start by preheating your oven to 375°F. Then, you need to line a loaf pan with parchment paper. It is a good idea to cut two separate portions of parchment paper so that you can place one lengthwise and one crosswise. You can also ensure that the parchment paper pieces go over the edges of the pan so that you can lift the loaf out of the pan by the paper.
Mixing the Batter
To make the batter, you start by whisking the almond milk with the lemon juice in a large mixing bowl and set it aside so that it thickens. Then, you mix the almond milk mixture with the remaining wet ingredients such as eggs, olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. I just use a whisk but you could also use a hand mixer here.
The next step is to whisk in the coconut flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and poppyseed until a smooth batter is formed. The poppyseeds are optional but give the lemon loaf cake a lovely texture.
Baking with coconut flour can be a challenge as different brands can produce thicker batters than others. As a result, if you find that your batter seems too thick, feel free to loosen it with a few tablespoons of almond milk. Meanwhile, if the batter seems too thin, simply add more coconut flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the batter seems thick enough to work with.
For other coconut flour desserts, try these cookies.
Baking the Loaf
Before baking the loaf, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. You shouldn't have to smooth the top as the batter should be on the looser side, but you can flatten it with a spatula if needed.
The lemon loaf should bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The toothpick can have some moist crumbs on it but you shouldn't see any wet batter on it. Be careful with the baking time as coconut flour-based goods can sometimes come out a little dry. However, baking the cake for the right amount of time should ensure that you get a delicious, fluffy cake.
Glazing the Loaf
The lemon loaf should cool for 20 minutes before you remove it from the pan. Then, you should allow it to cool completely before you move on to adding the lemon glaze.
To make the glaze, simply stir powdered sugar or a sugar-free alternative with lemon juice until a smooth glaze is formed. Then, pour it over the lemon loaf so that it coats it. You may want to place the loaf on a wire rack above a baking sheet so that it catches the excess glaze and makes cleanup easier.
Possible Variations for this Gluten Free Lemon Loaf
While this lemon loaf is wonderful as it is, you can change it up by using other types of citrus to flavour it. Additionally, you can include garnishes or replace the vanilla with another type of extract. Here are some possible variations for this gluten free lemon loaf.
- Replace the fresh lemon juice and lemon zest with other citrus such as orange, grapefruit, or lime.
- You can dust the loaf with powdered sugar before serving it if you like.
- Serve the lemon loaf garnished with lemon zest, lemon peel, or candied lemon slices.
- Consider garnishing your lemon loaf with herbs or edible flowers for colour such as mint leaves, chamomile, lavender, and violas.
- Serve slices of this lemon loaf with dollops of Greek yogurt, ice cream, whipped cream, or whipped coconut cream.
Other Lemon Recipes You'll Love:
Gluten Free Lemon Loaf
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or regular
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or sugar-free alternative or ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1.5 tablespoons poppy seeds optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar or sugar-free alternative
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a loaf pan (8x4-inches) with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside to thicken for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the thickened milk/lemon juice with the eggs, olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Then whisk in the coconut flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.
- Whisk until the batter becomes smooth and free of lumps. Depending on your brand of coconut flour, the batter may seem too thick. Add more almond milk (1 tablespoon at a time) until thinned out a bit. If its too thin and runny, add more coconut flour (1 tablespoon at a time) until thickened.
- Then transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the coconut flour lemon loaf for about 30 to 40 minutes until the center is set and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before unmolding. Then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over the lemon loaf to cover the top surface.
calories 138, carbs 7, sugar 1, net carbs 3