Make your own candy in the form of these Homemade Gummies using fresh fruit and nutritious gelatin.
For the first 2 years of her life, I managed for my daughter to have almost no candy at all. Until recently, she didn't even know the word candy.
Before you want to give me a super-mom award, let me admit right here that she's had her fair share of sugar in form of ice cream instead. However, straight up candy has been very limited.
Well, until we visited both sets of grandparents for an extended period of time all within 2 months. She is now very familiar with the sweet pleasures of candy.
At home however, I still don't buy or give her candy. That is, until I got a big canister of Pasture Raised Beef Gelatin and learned that I could make homemade healthy gummy candy with it.
Of course, there are a number of different ways to make homemade gummies. With it being summer and so much fresh local fruit available, I've really gotten into making berry gummies. But other fruit will work too.
More Healthy Berry Recipes:
Now, let me show you how you can easily make gummy candies at home:
- 1.5 cups fresh berries or diced other fruit
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Pasture Raised Beef Gelatin
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey adjust to taste and natural sweetness of fruit
- pinch of salt
- optional: ascorbic acid Vitamin C or other vitamin additive
- Add water and lemon (or lime) juice to a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let the gelatin soak for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, blend the berries (or other fruit) until smooth. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, if necessary.
- If desired, press the fruit puree through a fine-meshed sieve to remove any seeds or skin pieces.
- Heat the fruit puree in a small saucepan together with honey and salt. Add the bloomed gelatin and stir until fully dissolved. Add any desired vitamin boosters.
- Fill the fruit mixture into molds. Ice cube trays or any other candy silicone molds will work. Place the molds in the fridge to let the gummies set for about 2 hours.
- Unmold and enjoy! Especially in the summer, the gummies are best stored in a covered container in the fridge.
For fall flavored gummies, try using pumpkin puree instead of fruit. Replace lemon juice with water and add seasonal spices like pumpkin pie spice mix.
The main ingredients in gummy bears typically include gelatin, water, and sugar. These components contribute to the chewy texture and sweet taste of the gummy candy.
When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, homemade gummies can last for about 2 weeks. Ensure they are kept away from moisture to maintain their freshness and texture.
Homemade gummies can become sticky if they are exposed to high temperatures or humidity. To prevent stickiness, store them in a cool, dry place or refrigerate them in an airtight container.
Gummies are made by mixing gelatin with water and other ingredients such as sugar and flavorings. The mixture is then heated and poured into molds to set and form the chewy, gummy texture.