This bright and colorful Mixed Berry Crisp is topped with a honey sweetened oatmeal coconut crumble. It is heavenly served warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Before there is any confusion, let me point out that I made this fantastic mixed berry crisp while we were still in Canada. Because in Thailand fresh berries aren’t really available.
There is an abundance of amazingly sweet and juicy fruit like mangoes, pineapple, papaya, lychees and dragon fruit here. Just this morning we went to the market and came back with a big haul of fruit for the week. Berries just weren’t part of it. (Maybe I should try a mango crisp next?)
Once we decided on returning to Thailand, I knew that we would have limited access to fresh berries. (In the cooler mountain areas they grow strawberries, apparently.) So in the months leading up to our departure, I had berries as often as possible.
With almost every grocery shop I brought home a package of some kind of berries. They really are the perfect snack fruit. Both Olivia and I had our fair share of berry snacks.
I just love that they don’t need to be peeled or cut into chunks or even bitten off (ok, some huge strawberries might require a couple bites). Healthy and easy snacks are the best!
Other than eating them fresh, I also love baking with berries. I regularly swoon over these blueberry pie bars. I HAVE to make them again soon. Luckily, they can also be made with frozen berries, which we can get here too.
For this mixed berry crumble I set out to sweeten it only with honey and the results were just wonderful. There is a little honey mixed with the berries to enhance their natural sweetness.
And the crumb topping is honey sweetened as well. I love crumbly, crunchy dessert toppings. This one has rolled oats and shredded coconut in the mix, which make for a great texture contrast over the berries.
I also love how quickly this dessert can be prepared. You could even make it ahead, when you have company, and just pop it into the oven about half an hour before serving dessert. Served warm with a scoop of ice cream on top, this Mixed Berry Crisp is heavenly!
Even better when the ice cream topping is freshly churned and homemade! Find out how to make delicious homemade ice cream in my ice cream maker review post.
- 4 cups mixed berries*, like blueberries, blackberries and strawberries (cut strawberries in half or quarters)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅓ freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil, more if needed
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Place berries in an 8-inch square baking pan. Combine juice and cornstarch until dissolved, then pour over berries. Drizzle honey over the berries and lightly toss everything.
- Add all topping ingredients into a bowl. Combine by hand until crumbs form. Add more melted coconut oil (1 tablespoon at a time), if mixture is too dry.
- Spread topping over berries and bake for 25-30 minutes until berries are bubbly and topping turns golden-brown.
More Berry Dessert Recipes: