Oven roasted sweet potatoes and carrots with a honey sesame glaze make a delicious healthy vegetable side dish for the holidays (or any time of year really). These honey rosted vegetables will have you feeling like it's the holidays, anytime of year!
Holidays are a funny thing when you're far away from family. Especially if the country you're in doesn't observe that holiday.
This year we kind of forgot Canadian Thanksgiving. We didn't remember until our families back home told us what they had done for their Thanksgiving get together. Oops!
I guess we have another chance with American Thanksgiving just around the corner, but I honestly doubt we'll do anything that remotely resembles a turkey dinner. It's only the 3 of us after all.
However, my sister is planning to visit us for Christmas. So I'll save my holidays-in-a-foreign-country logistics for that. Not a turkey, but maybe I can manage a roast chicken? At least I know this great place here in Chiang Mai (SP Chicken) that specializes in roasting them.
I have no worries about sides or salads though. Side dishes like these Baked Green Beans are somewhat of my specialty. Be it for holiday dinners or a regular weeknight meal.
These honey sesame roasted vegetables have been a huge hit in our family. Veggies can be a hit or miss with Konrad, but he kept saying how much he loved these sweet potatoes and carrots. Even Olivia gobbled up her portion in no time, and I had to give her not one but 2(!) refills.
The only kind of sweet potatoes I can find here in Chiang Mai are these purple skinned Japanese ones. The skin is really thin and I love the color contrast, so I didn't peel them. If you are using thick skinned yams instead, you may want to remove the peel though.
I am giving you a few options for the honey glaze. While I used regular soy sauce, you can also use Tamari for a gluten-free option, or coconut aminos to make this yummy side dish also paleo-friendly.
Serve the honey sesame roasted vegetables hot from the oven. Any leftovers make a really great salad topping for lunch the next day.
Want more amazing Sweet Potato Recipes?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please:
- Share it on Pinterest
- Join my Email Newsletter to receive updates about new recipes
Honey Sesame Roasted Sweet Potato and Carrots
- 1.5 lb sweet potatoes 2 medium ones
- 1 lb carrots 2 large ones
- salt pepper and cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a large baking sheet - I like to line mine with parchment for easier cleanup.
- Cut the sweet potato into ½ inch cubes and slice the carrot to ¼ inch thick coins. Season with salt, pepper and a little cinnamon. Toss with 1 tablespoon honey and oil and roast for about 30 minutes. Toss half way through. For charred edges you can turn on the broiler for the last 5 minutes.
- Mix the remaining tablespoon of honey with soy sauce and stir into the roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion, and serve hot.
Oh my... I think I just drooled over myself. These are so delicious!