This Keto Chocolate Mug Cake makes an incredible treat whenever your sweet tooth needs a fix. It is made from coconut flour, gluten free and paleo. And best of all, you can stir up this low carb chocolate mug cake and enjoy it in under 5 minutes! How is that for dessert in a flash?!
If you have never had a mug cake before, you may be skeptical of the idea of cake made in the microwave. I know I was - until I had one for the first time.
So despite any skepticism just give this healthy chocolate mug cake a try.
I bet you will just fall in love with these fluffy bites of warm cake spooned right out of a mug. The texture is wonderfully moist and basically just melts in your mouth!
And most importantly, this Coconut Flour Chocolate Mug Cake is just SO EASY to make!!
Nothing beats enjoying warm cake, from scratch, in less than 5 minutes. Gathering my ingredients, measuring and stirring them together takes me maybe 3 minutes.
Then the paleo chocolate mug cake goes into the microwave for about 2 minutes. And I usually am done putting away all ingredients and wiping the counter before the microwave beeps!
Tips for making Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake:
- You can prepare the batter right in the mug - I do that when I am in a real hurry. But to ensure even mixing using a small bowl is an even better idea. Once the batter is ready just transfer it to your mug.
- If you have one, use a straight-sided mug. In it the gluten free chocolate mug cake will cook more evenly than in one with slanted sides.
- Use 1 big mug that fits at least 12 fl.oz. or divide the batter into 2 smaller tea or coffee cups for individual servings.
- Keep in mind that microwaves come in a variety of different strength. When I first started testing this easy chocolate mug cake recipe in our apartment with a low wattage microwave it took about 2.5 minutes on high. Now with a larger stronger microwave, it takes only 1-1.5 minutes.
- Let the chocolate mug cake cool for a minute or two minutes before you dig in. But you do want to enjoy them warm.
- Top this simple chocolate mug cake to your heart's desire with whipped (coconut) cream, chocolate chips, nuts etc.
How to Make A Paleo Mug Cake in the Microwave or Oven
The fastest way to make the best chocolate mug cake is definitely in the microwave. It will take anywhere from 1-2.5 minutes only.
But if you don't have a microwave or don't like to use one, you can also bake this keto mug cake in the oven. Make sure to preheat it to 350° F.
Timing will depend on a number of factors:
- whether you are making 1 large mug cake or are dividing it into 2 smaller ones
- the type of mug/ramekin you use (tall vs. wide)
- how thick the walls of that mug/ramekin are
So instead of the ringing timer, pay attention to the consistency of the chocolate mug cake. You want it to be set but still springy, because a moist cake is a million times better than dry cake!
Timewise that could put you anywhere between 20-35 minutes baking time.
Quick oven method:
Divide the batter into 2-3 lined muffin cavities. It will take about 15 minutes that way.
Ingredients I used for this Healthy Chocolate Mug Cake:
I have no definite preference for one coconut flour brand, but Better Body Foods coconut flour is definitely a favorite.
For sugar-free liquid sweetener alternatives I always recommend Lakanto Monk Fruit Syrup in maple flavor.
And as for sugar-free chocolate chips - to use inside the cake or on top - try Lily's brand. They use stevia for sweetening.
Also try my other delicious Coconut Flour Mug Cake Recipes:
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sugar-free liquid sweetener*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips** optional
- In small bowl or large mug whisk together coconut flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Add egg, coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix until everything is very well combined.
- If you used a bowl for mixing ingredients, fill the batter into a large mug and microwave on high for about 1.5-2.5 minutes. Start checking at the 1 minute mark.
- Let the coconut flour chocolate mug cake sit for a couple minutes before eating. Optionally top with whipped coconut cream, chocolate chips and/or sliced almonds.
- To bake the chocolate mug cake in the oven, preheat it to 350°F. Timing will depend on a number of factors (check blog post for details). It will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes. You want the mug cake to be set but still springy.
wow! Delicious. I subbed date syrup for the maple syrup. It turned out really moist. I'm full! A nice treat-thank you!
Jennifer @ Leelalicious
Hi Beth, the date syrup sounds awesome! Thank you for your positive review. 🙂
can I use almond flour instead of coconut flour?
Regina | Leelalicious
While I haven't tried it myself, there are commenters on the Youtube video that say almond flour worked well for them in this recipe. Because it is less absorbent then coconut flour though, I wonder if maybe you will need a little more almond flour to get a similar consistency of batter
I've been making this recipe for over 2.5yrs and it always tastes delicious. My whole family loves it, yet it's versatile for just 2 people. Thank you for so many amazing recipes.
Regina | Leelalicious
Wow 2.5 yrs is a long time. What a great, time-tested review. Thank you!
Honestly the tastiest most moist cupcake I've eaten.we are currently eating by Maker's Diet guidelines, and we're craving dessert. I found this recipe and it fit the standards. Two thumbs WAY up!
Regina | Leelalicious
Yay! This makes me so happy to hear. Glad you enjoyed the recipe
Tried making this today for the first time. I didn't have any liquid sweetener so I substituted it with some granulated one.
It came out great and tasty, although it had a somewhat grainy texture. Is that normal in using coconut flour?