Satisfy your brownie cravings with these healthy, seasonal fudgy Paleo Pumpkin Brownies with pumpkin butter frosting - grain-free, gluten free, and dairy free.
These grain-free brownies are made with pumpkin puree, unsweetened baking chocolate and almond flour. The only sweetener in them is honey. All this makes them pretty healthy in my books!
They have a super fudgy texture and the added pumpkin pie spice emphasizes the seasonal pumpkin flavor. The frosting is made with this pumpkin almond butter and more pumpkin puree, but it's optional. I love these pumpkin brownies, plain and simple. I loved them as a snack on the go.
This healthy chocolate frosting would also work really well with these brownies.
Ingredients and Substitutions
For the brownies:
- unsweetened baking chocolate - if using sweetened chocolate or chocolate chips, use less added sweetener later
- coconut oil - or ghee
- honey - or maple syrup or granulated sweetener like coconut sugar; use less if using sweetened chocolate
- pumpkin puree
- vanilla extract
- almond flour
- pumpkin pie spice - can be replaced with cinnamon, and other warm baking spices you may have on hand
- Melt the chocolate, coconut oil, and honey on the stove top or in short bursts in the microwave.
- Add the other wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla and stir together. Now mix in the dry ingredients: almond flour and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour the brownie batter into a prepared square baking dish and bake. Then let cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting stir together pumpkin nut butter, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and optional sweetener. Spread over the brownies.
Store the brownies in an air tight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Because of the frosting, I recommend storing these brownies in the fridge. They will last up to a week refrigerated in an airtight container.
The pumpkin puree in this brownie recipe is one of the major contributing factor to the deliciously fudgy texture.
Paleo Pumpkin Brownies
For the paleo brownies
- 3.5 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup honey or ¾-1 cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt together unsweetened chocolate, coconut oil and honey either in the microwave or on the stove top. Stir until smooth and combined.3.5 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil, ½ cup honey
- Add pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated. Whisk together almond flour and pumpkin pie spice in a small separate bowl. Fold into the wet mixture.¾ cup pumpkin puree, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons almond flour, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes, then cool on the counter top.
- In the meantime combine the pumpkin almond butter with pumpkin puree and mix well to combine. Stir in pumpkin pie spice and taste. Add sweetener, if desired, starting with 1 tablespoon. More to taste. Spread frosting over cooled brownies.⅛ cup pumpkin almond butter, 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1-3 tablespoons sweetener of choice
- Store in air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Pin for later?