This refreshing Passion Fruit Lemonade is made with a ginger simple syrup. The fresh passion fruit and chia seeds give it an awesome texture surprise.
I first had the pleasure of enjoying this amazingly refreshing and vitalizing ginger passion fruit limeade at a cooking class I took during our stay in Vietnam a few years ago.
After my sister-in-law and I had cooked our first meal (a delicious thick noodle dish), we sat down to enjoy it and were served this wonderful beverage alongside. It was a hot and humid day, so the icy combination of lime juice, passion fruit and ginger was a more than welcome refreshment.
The occasional crunchy passion fruit and chia seeds were a surprising twist.
Our instructor emailed us the recipes for the dishes we had made that day, but I also begged her to let me in on the secret of this unique passion fruit lemonade. To which she gladly obliged.
As it is so often with handed down family recipes, the instructions were nothing like you would find in a cookbook. Some ingredients had no measurements, others came with a weight measurement that didn’t make much sense to me.
But at least I knew which ingredients to use. Now it was up to me to figure out the perfect amounts and ratios.
It took a few attempts and some tweaking, but finally I ended up with a replicate that I was happy with. And now I am sharing this wonderful recipe with you.
These pictures are actually from 3 years ago when we lived in Vietnam for a bit. While I wasn’t avoiding all plastic straws yet then, those black straws depicted were actually ‘re-used’ ones we’d been given at restaurants or with take-out drinks.
Nowadays, I always carry stainless steel or compostable paper straws in my purse for my daughter. And yes, even if you want to go for the black straw look, there are black stainless steel and reusable black silicone straws available now.
More refreshing summer drink recipes:
Passion Fruit Lemonade
- 1/4 cup (100 g) coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 inch piece smashed fresh ginger root
For 1 glass of lemonade:
- 1 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 passion fruit juice and seeds
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons ginger simple syrup
For 1 pitcher of lemonade:
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 4 passion fruits juice and seeds
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup ginger simple syrup
How to Make Ginger Simple Syrup:
- Add the coconut palm sugar and water to a small saucepan. Heat while whisking until sugar is dissolved. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cook until the syrup is starting to thicken (3-5 minutes).
- Add the smashed piece of ginger and cook for 3 more minutes to infuse the syrup. Then take off heat and set aside to cool. Makes about 1/2 cup syrup.
Passion Fruit Lemonade:
- Stir the chia seeds into the water and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the juice + seeds. Add to the chia water.
- Add the lime juice and ginger infused simple syrup, then stir to combine.
- Serve lemonade mixture in ice-filled glasses.