With these refreshing raspberry cake bars, a melt-in-your-mouth moist cake layer is paired with a light, refreshing cream cheese and ricotta topping and lots of luscious raspberries.
I am still on ‘vacation’ with my family in Kelowna, BC. Aside from visiting with family, catching up with friends and enjoying the warm weather and sunshine, I am absolutely INDULGING in fresh, ripe fruit and veggies from my parent’s garden. Honestly, what could be better?
One of those indulgences are raspberries! Sweet, red, plump berrylicious goodness… While I could have endlessly stuffed my face (and tummy) with them just right from the bush, my hands and baker’s brain were also itching to make them into something more.
After perusing my mom’s cookbooks (many of them German) and fridge shelves I came up with these super refreshing raspberry cake bars.
The cake layer is so light, while moist and juicy, and the fruity topping really makes the raspberries shine. Ricotta and cream cheese are the main components of the topping. Together, these two kinds of cheese make a perfectly mild, not too tart of a flavor combination.
Unlike most rich layer cakes, these bars go down so easy and are so light you’ll probably want more than just one piece. These bars also just remind me of sweet, sweet, summertime with their happy pinks and delicious fresh fruit.
If you gave this recipe a try, please share your thoughts with me! Did you use raspberries or a different fruit that you had available? Feel free to even share pictures with me! Also, chech out the following links for more summer raspberry goodness!
Refreshing Raspberry Cake Bars
With these refreshing raspberry cake bars, a melt-in-your-mouth moist cake layer is paired with a light, refreshing cream cheese + ricotta topping and lots of luscious raspberries.
- 250 g 2 cups + 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 200 g 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 250 g 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 15 g 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 60 ml 1/4 cup milk
- 240 ml 1 cup fruit juice (like orange or peach)
- 375 g 13 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 300 g 10.5 oz ricotta cheese
- 200 g 1 cup sugar
- 90 ml 6 tablespoons cream
- 250 g 2 cups raspberries, more for garnish
- mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet (11x15 inches) with parchment paper.
- Cream butter on high with your mixer. Add sugar, vanilla and salt and mix to combine. Add the eggs one at a time and beat for 1/2 minute after each addition.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder and gradually add to the wet mixture alternating with the milk.
- Spread the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes. While the cake is still warm slowly pour the fruit juice over top and let cool fully.
- Combine the sugar and cream and let stand to dissolve the sugar. Beat with cream cheese and ricotta in your mixer until combined and smooth. Fold in the raspberries.
- Spread topping over cooled cake layer and garnish with more raspberries and mint leaves.
- Store covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.