This amazing rustic tart is filled with a heavenly almond cream cheese spread and juicy fig slices!
We might as well call this the summer of galette (or rustic tart). I am not sure how many I have made this season, but every single time they disappear quicker than any other dessert in this house.
We bought a whole crate full of fresh figs. Some of them were amazing. Others unfortunately not so. They weren’t quite ripe and sitting on the counter only made them softer, but not sweeter.
I had to act quickly before they were a complete loss. So this rustic tart came to be. I love how not so stellar fruit still turns into heavenly sweetness when baked. And the figs that were almost a loss were an absolute win in this tart.
I know, I know… This rustic tart (like almost any) isn’t going to win a beauty contest. But if you enjoy a slice of it with closed eyes, it will taste even BETTER!
To add a little something extra, there is honey-sweetened almond-flavored cream cheese spread on the crust. Believe me, when I tell you it is absolutely amazing. You HAVE to try this!
- 2 cups (250 g) unbleached all-purpose flour (more for rolling out)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (170 g) cold butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) ice water
- ⅓ cup (75 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 4-6 fresh figs, sliced, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) apricot jam
- Place flour, salt and cut up butter into a food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly and looks like wet sand. Slowly add water into running machine (only as much as needed) until a dough ball forms. Shape into a disk, cover in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together cream cheese, vanilla + almond extract, and honey until smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out chilled dough (about ¼ inch thick) and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Spread the prepared cream cheese filling over the dough leaving a 2 inch border.
- Assemble the fig slices in a circular pattern to cover all of the cream cheese. Fold over the edges. Heat the apricot jam in the microwave for 30 seconds. Brush jam all over the figs.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the crust edges are lightly browned. Cool before cutting.