This delicious Salmon Risotto with peas is made in the Actifry Air Fryer. Actifry risotto requires minimal hands-on time because the paddle takes care of the stirring for you.
(Stovetop option for this salmon pea risotto is included as well).
What is Risotto?
Risotto is a creamy rice dish that originates in Northern Italy. Making risotto requires a unique cooking method.
It calls for adding hot stock/broth to the rice in small, frequent additions while constantly stirring the risotto rice until it is cooked.
What Rice to use for Risotto
Risotto is made with Italian starchy short-grain rice varieties like Carnaroli, Arborio, Vialone Nano, or Baldo. Arborio tends to be the easiest to find, so that is what I am using today.
How to Make Actifry Risotto?
Start by heating up 3 cups (half) of the broth/stock on the stovetop. Use chicken or vegetable stock.
Meanwhile add just the Arborio rice and sliced green onion to the Actifry. Dry toast them on their own for about 5 minutes. Then pour in the 3 cups of hot broth and turn on the Actifry for 20 minutes.
Most of the stock will get absorbed by the rice in that time. Heat the remaining stock (3 cups) and have it ready to add when the timer is up.
Turn on the Actifry for another 20 minutes. Then try the rice for doneness. If it needs to soften more, turn it back on for 5-10 minutes. Also add more hot stock/water if the risotto looks dry.
Once the risotto has the right texture add butter, parmesan cheese, flaked cooked salmon and peas to the Actifry. Turn it on to stir everything together.
Serve the Salmon Risotto with chopped parsley and lemon slices.
How to make Salmon Risotto on the Stovetop
You can still make this recipe on the stovetop, if you don’t own a Tfal Actifry. Start by heating the stock in a saucepan. You have to keep it hot the entire time. So simmer it on low heat with a lid to keep the liquid from evaporating.
Then dry toast the rice and green onion in a stock pot for a couple of minutes on low heat. Add 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice and stir. Keep simmering and stirring until the liquid is almost all absorbed.
Then add another ½ cup of hot stock and continue stirring & simmering as above. Keep adding ½ cup of stock when almost all liquid is absorbed.
Continue in this way with the raining stock until the rice reaches desired Risotto texture. Then stir in butter, Parmesan cheese, flaked salmon, and peas.
Can risotto be reheated
Yes, you can easily reheat risotto in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the Actifry. Add in a little water if needed to reconstitute the creamy risotto texture.
Other Risotto add-ins
I love, love, LOVE this combination of flaked salmon and peas in risotto, but of course there are other delicious options. Try:
- sautéed mushrooms
- butternut squash
- shrimp or other seafood
- blue cheese
- sausage slices
More Actifry Recipes You’ll Love
Actifry Risotto - Salmon and Peas
- Tfal Actifry
- 1.5 cups Arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- 6 oz. cooked salmon flaked
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- lemon slices
- Heat the stock in a saucepan on the stove.
- Meanwhile toast the sliced green onions and rice in the Actifry on Manual for 5 minutes.
- Add hot stock up to the liquid fill line (about 4 cups) and turn on for 20 minutes (Manual setting).
- Then add the remaining hot stock and turn on for another 20 minutes.
- Check on the rice. Add a little more hot water/stock if it looks dry and turn on for another 10 minutes.
- When most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done, add butter, parmesan, salmon, and peas.
- Turn on to let the paddle stir everything together.
- Serve the Actifry Risotto hot with lemon slices and chopped parsley. A squeeze of lemon juice nicely brightens up the flavors, especially of the salmon.
- Heat the stock in a saucepan and keep it hot the entire time while covering with a lid.
- Dry toast the rice and green onion in a stock pot for a couple of minutes on low heat. Add 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice and stir. Keep simmering and stirring until the stock is almost all absorbed.
- Then add ½ cup of hot stock and continue stirring & simmering until almost all liquid is absorbed.
- Continue in this way with the remaining stock until the rice reaches desired Risotto texture. Then stir in butter, Parmesan cheese, flaked salmon, and peas.
- Serve with parsley and lemon.
Pin this Actifry Risotto - Salmon and Peas recipe for later?
Yes, you can substitute salmon with other types of fish like cod, trout, or tilapia for a different flavor profile.
Absolutely, you can omit the peas if you prefer or substitute them with other vegetables like asparagus or spinach for added texture and flavor.
Check the texture of the rice; it should be creamy and slightly firm with a slight bite (al dente). Taste and adjust the cooking time as needed for the desired consistency.
Yes, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make this risotto vegetarian-friendly while maintaining the rich and savory flavors.
Store any leftover salmon risotto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop with a little water to restore the creamy texture before serving.