This delicious Thai Yellow Coconut Curry with Chicken and Squash is heavenly comfort food. Aromatic, a little exotic and not too spicy.
With summer almost over, comfort food becomes the name of the game. This Thai Yellow Chicken Curry with Squash has it all:
- warm, savory, saucy curry goodness
- a little exotic Thai coconut flavor
- + seasonal yummy squash!
I love how simple Thai curries are to prepare since they are usually based on a curry paste that you can purchase pre-made. While Indian curries with long ingredient lists seem really overwhelming to me.
Of the colored-coded curry pastes (red, yellow, green) yellow curry paste is the mildest. Paired with coconut milk, it nicely balances the chili heat without being too spicy.
I’ve been trying to increase my tolerance for Thai spicy food while we are located here in Chiang Mai. But unfortunately, I still end up with dishes that seem to burn out my tongue and whole mouth. So after a few bites I can’t even taste anything but chili heat anymore.
This recipe for Thai Yellow Chicken Curry with Squash is NOT like that. The spice level is there, but much milder. Again, the benefit of curry paste is, that you can easily use more or less of it according to your tolerance.
Also, squash!! The most common squash variety here in Thailand and all over Southeast Asia is kabocha squash. They actually refer to is as pumpkin.
I love how sweet and tender the squash becomes after simmering in the curry broth. Sometimes the flavor actually reminds me of sweet potato.
After I finished cooking this delicious Thai Yellow Chicken Curry with Squash, I checked the back of my yellow curry paste package. I realized that their recommended instructions for making yellow curry was super similar to the recipe I had just come up with.
With one exception. As final step they recommend to add fish sauce to taste. I tried it out by drizzling a little over just my serving of the curry. And WOW!! That final step takes the curry from great to awesome! I can’t recommend it enough.
Fish sauce adds a salty – savory flavor component that just takes this Thai Yellow Chicken Curry with Squash over the top!
- In a large pot heat the oil on medium and lightly brown the chopped onion. Add curry paste and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown for about 3 minutes, before adding chicken broth and coconut milk to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cover to simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is soft and tender, add the squash and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. The squash should be just tender and not too mushy. Stir in fish sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice.