I am taking a little break to spend time with my family + brand new (and oh so delicious) baby girl. For the meantime I have prepared a few recipes ahead of time. Do you usually get candy or popcorn at the movies (or both)? With this popcorn munch mix you don’t have to choose one or the other.
This fantastic treat starts with freshly popped homemade popcorn. Check out my favorite way to make it HERE.
The popped golden kernels are mixed with toffee bits, coated with rich milk chocolate and drizzled with the most amazing butterscotch topping.
I adapted the drizzle from last year’s Mocha Popcorn Munch. This time I used butterscotch chips to emulate the buttery flavor in toffee candy bars.
Technically you could just melt the butterscotch chips (with a little coconut or other vegetable oil) for the topping, but if you have it on hand I highly recommend adding a couple tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk.
The condensed milk prevents the butterscotch from setting up too firm. As a result the topping stays slightly chewy (even if the popcorn munch is kept refrigerated) posing a wonderful contrast to the crunchy popcorn and toffee.
I won’t lie and will give you a fair warning: this stuff is addicting!! Just like all the other popcorn munch recipes on here.
They are sooo hard to photograph. It’s impossible not to snack on some while it’s out. Even when I am not hungry my hands – pretty much involuntarily – keep stuffing my mouth.
The only solution I have for a lack of portion and self-control: make only half a batch, if you can’t immediately share this Toffee Butterscotch Popcorn Munch with someone else in your household!
- 8 cups popped popcorn (from 4 tablespoons unpopped corn or 2 microwave bags)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup Skor toffee bits, divided
- ¼ cup butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl combine the popcorn and ¼ cup Skor toffee bits. Melt the milk chocolate in the microwave or on top of a double-boiler. Toss popcorn mix with the melted chocolate.
- Spread the popcorn out on a large lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Skor toffee bits.
- Melt the butterscotch chips with coconut oil. Heat up sweetened condensed milk as well and stir into melted butterscotch mix.
- Drizzle the butterscotch mix over the popcorn. Zap in the microwave for a few more seconds if too thick.
- Let popcorn munch set up in the fridge, then break into chunks. Store covered in an airtight container.