It’s the end of February! If it were up to me, spring could start March 1.
We got a little foretaste of warmer weather over the last few days. And then everything changed in an instant. From 12C (53F) degree weather at noon to snow showers at supper time.
Calgary weather is crazy, but at least we get a break from the cold from time to time. However, I wouldn’t mind to be done with winter for good.
I am still trying to get back into a proper routine since we returned from our trip to BC. I haven’t been cooking and experimenting as much as usual.
But I’ve made these awesome cheese sticks. They are an amazing appetizer and fantastic snack food.
These aren’t your regular plain mozzarella sticks rolled in breadcrumbs. These cheese sticks are baked and they also include leek and chives for an oh.so.delicious flavor surprise. They aren’t ooey gooey on the inside, but crisp from the outside and chewy throughout!
We are only using the center part of 1 small leek. So cut off the root end and the green tops. Slice the leek open half-way and clean the layers thoroughly. Leeks are notorious for trapping sand and dirt.
Then chop the leek finely and saute with butter on low until softened. We don’t want the leek to actually brown.
While the leek is cooking, you can prepare your other ingredients: eggs, seasonings, finely grated cheese (I used a mozzarella + cheddar mix), breadcrumbs and chives.
Add the softened leeks and stir the mixture together. Turn it out onto a floured surface and and press into a rectangular shape.
Cut into 14-16 pieces and roll each piece into a stick. Place the cheese sticks onto a lined baking sheet and chill in the fridge (20 minutes) or freezer (10 minutes) to firm up.
In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 F and then bake the sticks for about 10 minutes. Turn them once about half way through.
Serve hot with marinara sauce.
You can also prep the cheese sticks ahead of time and store them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer.
Then just bake them from frozen (add a few minutes to baking time) when you have friends over to watch a game or when a cheesy carb craving hits you
- 1 small leek
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- salt and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 chives
- 4 ounces cheese, finely grated (I used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (white or whole wheat to taste)
- Cut off the root end and green tops from the leek. Slice open half-way lengthwise and wash thoroughly (leeks tend to trap a lot of sandy dirt).
- Finely cute the cleaned leek. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add cut leek and cook on medium-low until softened for about 5 minutes. Don't let the leek brown.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add some salt, pepper and mustard powder and whisk lightly to combine and break up the eggs.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut the chives into the bowl. Add the finely grated cheese, breadcrumbs and cooked leeks. Stir together with a wooden spoon.
- Dump the mixture onto a floured surface and press into a rectangular shape. Cut into 14-16 pieces. Using your hands form each piece into a stick and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Chill cheese sticks for at least 20 minutes in the fridge (or 10 minutes in the freezer) to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Bake cheese sticks for about 10 minutes. Turning once halfway through.
- Serve right away with marinara sauce.