These whole grain Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies are a clean eating dessert made with coconut oil and unrefined sugar. They are a delicious way to satisfy sweet cravings with wholesome ingredients.
When it comes to dessert or sweet treats, cookies are definitely my favorite kind. I love how simple and quick they are to make (aside from sometimes torturous chilling times). They are sweet with lots of different textures. And you can have them with added ingredients to your hearts desire – chocolate, nuts, candy, dried fruit, oatmeal…
Really – what’s not to love about cookies?
While oatmeal cookies may be my personal favorite, chocolate chip cookies are a time-less classic. I like them best with crisp edges and chewy centers. I already made a spelt flour double chocolate chip cookie before, but now it is time for the true classic.
My sister brought me organic whole grain spelt flour from Oak Manor from Canada when she visited us over the holidays. I’ve loved experimenting with this stone-ground ancient grain from a Canadian producer.
I’ve mainly been using it in hearty homemade breads, but then I had the idea to make chocolate chip cookies with it. I used coconut oil, coconut sugar (or unrefined cane sugar), Oak Manor spelt flour and dark chocolate chips to make this a clean eating treat.
The cookies turned out super delicious! Compared to regular cookies made with white flour they are a little heartier with a slightly nutty texture. And with chewy centers and crisp edges just the way I like ’em.
When making these spelt flour chocolate chip cookies, don’t skip the step of chilling the dough balls. I’ve tried it and ended up with cookies that spread so much that I basically ended up with a sheet of cookie. I assure you we still ate it all; it just didn’t look very presentable.
To achieve the chewy centers that I like so much, I slightly underbake the cookies. I take them out of the oven when the edges are set but the centers can still look glossy. They still keep on baking on the hot cookie sheet outside of the oven, but they won’t overbake.
Keep the cookies in an airtight container to ensure they keep their crisp edges.
If you like this, please:
- Stir together coconut sugar and melted coconut oil. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the coconut sugar to dissolve.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and stir (by hand or with a mixer) until combined.
- Add spelt flour, baking soda, and salt and stir together until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Using a large cookie scoop form about 12-14 dough balls. Press a few more chocolate chips into the top of each dough ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough balls for at least 1-2 hours (or ½ hour in the freezer).
- Preheat oven to 350 F and place chilled dough balls 2 inches apart on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are just set. Centers can still look slightly uncooked. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then move them to wire rack to cool fully. Store airtight.
Products used in this Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support in making Leelalicious possible. I really appreciate it!